Hydroboost/Jeep box plumbing

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I'd imagine a lot of you guys have already modded or upgraded your steering and/or brakes and the associated plumbing that goes with it, but for those of you that haven't or are contemplating converting to Hydroboost brakes and a Jeep steering box, here's a schematic I knocked up ages ago with all the plumbing fittings that you'll require. It makes it a little easier to get your head around it all when you need to buy the parts - well, it did for me anyway!

I bought the high pressure stainless fittings and -6AN braided hose from Hydratechbraking.com but on the low pressure side I used anodized Aeroquip fittings I bought on eBay. Depending on whether you have a pre or post 1980 power steering pump will depend on what fittings you use on the pump outlet - I just used the older style pump that was already on my car. 80 and newer should have a 16x1.5mm metric 'O' ring style fitting.
I hope it's of some use to someone...

35484c04a77cfaf.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if I can trust you

Your not the hydraboost master :smash:

Wayne, How about a list for when using the stock power steering? I just may try that one. Cris, you have any of them things left?

Low pressure return is 5/8-18 in.
High pressure in is 1/2-20 ???? don't remember exactly but I think that was it.

Aeroquip has a steel hose end with the correct size for the low pressure return
AER-FBM1392

When I got mine however the b nut was for a -8 sized hose. The solution was to toss it and use a b nut from a regular -6 hose end (must be an aeroquip of course). The threads will mate up. I think the hose end is for use with some kind of very thick walled -6 hose that has a -8 hose OD.

Anyway IF you want to use it, just order it and a straight -6 aeroquip fitting.

That was supposed to be one of those super hero joke moments :huh2:

But on the subject of Hydraboost,i have one sitting on a shelf in the garage that i purchased from Chris and had planned on installing untill the back surgery came along,and now i'm not sure if i can bend enough to get under the dash :crutches:

But on the subject of Hydraboost,i have one sitting on a shelf in the garage that i purchased from Chris and had planned on installing untill the back surgery came along,and now i'm not sure if i can bend enough to get under the dash :crutches:
Whoops, my bad - I didn't detect the humour :cry:

That's a shame that you can't install your hydro. Isn't there anyone close by who could give you a hand? Mind you, asking someone to dislocate their spine and crawl up under your dash to remove four nuts that you can't even see could be a real friendship tester :eek:h:

Whoops, my bad - I didn't detect the humour :cry:

That's a shame that you can't install your hydro. Isn't there anyone close by who could give you a hand? Mind you, asking someone to dislocate their spine and crawl up under your dash to remove four nuts that you can't even see could be a real friendship tester :eek:h:

I have not been able to find anybody yet that is willing to crawl under there and get those 4 nuts off yet :banghead:
My 3 year old fits under there perfect and she said she could do it,but when Sydney asked for a hammer and a screw driver i thought i should pass on letting her do it.
Sydney does like to help me work on things though,she is always getting into the tool box and getting tools to work on something,saturday she had a screw driver wedged in the house door lock :confused: still not sure how she managed that one,and sometimes when i sit down in my recliner,nut's and bolts,tools,and even my spare tire lock,and nozzles for the sand blaster fall out of the back cushion :huh: The best one so far was when she decided the chair was low on water,it has an armrest that lifts up and has storage under it,well she filled that sucker up :lol: