Front frame jack stand reinforcement question

rtj

I started welding up my frame, and it is pretty good in the area where you normally put jack-stands. Any one ever reinforce this area? Or, have photos of other cars that were reinforced?

IMG_1608.jpg

I was thinking 1/8 or 3/16 thick 1x6" along the inside to level the two sides and then a piece across the full width of the frame.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever had any problem with jack stands against the frame. I've thought about welding a reinforcement plate on the bottom of the crossmember for lifting purposes, though.

Thanks Sam, my old frame got pretty beat up from jack stands. So far all I've seen are guys putting 2x4's on the jack stands. That's not a solution for me.

Maybe need to fix the JS too, with these:

"These durable rubber jack stand pads protect your car from scrapes and nicks while using 3 or 6 ton jack stands. The jack stand pads won't gouge or rip and are slip- and oil-resistant.
Slip and oil resistant
Won't gouge or rip
Fits our 3 Ton and 6 Ton Jack Stands"

My BMW has the front end up in the driveway while I fix a few things. I have some of those heavy rubber pads on the stands, so far no issues.

Thought I had a pic on file - but couldn't find it so words will have to do. I had a piece of steel box section left over from a Harbor freight engine stand. I made a cross-member for the frame to sit on. First I cut 2 square holes (angle grinder in the bottom. Just the size of the jack stand "T" tops. Takes a bit of "tilting" to get in - but no movement. They are cut at a spacing to match the frame width. I use the 2 stands with the cross-member, each mounted on a Harbor Freight 1000# capacity furniture rolling platform. Works pretty well but very stable. here is the bottom of the stands;
12695496f8c222f84.jpg

Cheers - Jim
[Pics might be over on the Elvira build page - that has been less than busy the past year or so...]

Last edited:
just a quick note - those are bolted with all-thread through the plywood to the lower frame on the roller set-up. Picture doesn't show that however...

All good ideas, thanks.

I'll probably plate the bottom and am thinking of drilling the top of the frame 1/2" or3/4" and run some chrome molly tubing to tie the top and bottom together.