Temporary air filter material?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Decided to try working on my '96 Triumph motorcycle again to try to get it running. I now have fuel getting to all three carbs but still have trouble getting it to run. With a shot of ether it will light off and run for a couple seconds, then die. After a couple times it won't light off at all anymore. I suspect that the POS ignition system in it isn't up to the task after a couple attempts. Regardless, I'd like to keep the dust out of the intake while I'm doing all this (the effing air filter system requires you to take the carbs out, stick the filter in to the frame area, and then wiggle the effing carbs back in. Sorry, ain't gonna keep doing that until the damn engine runs consistently). So I'm looking for some material I can stick over the carb inlets and hold it with rubber bands or hose clamps. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Well, I kinda went Gene's direction here. I cut up an old tee shirt and held the pieces on with double-looped rubber bands. So far it's working. I finally have fuel getting to all three carbs, and after pulling one spark plug to clean up the electrodes I now have spark in all three cylinders (POS Triumph ignition system). The engine will start and run briefly, so it looks like I'm finally making progress getting this bike back on the road.

For the amount of time you're talking about I wouldn't sweat it. I ran my Bonnie with velocity stacks and bird screen for years without repercussions. Really, how many engine hours do you expect?:twitch:

For the amount of time you're talking about I wouldn't sweat it. I ran my Bonnie with velocity stacks and bird screen for years without repercussions. Really, how many engine hours do you expect?:twitch:

You are absolutely correct, and I can't argue with your logic. I have a weird OCD type deal though. While I openly admit that I rarely wash either Corvette, and probably haven't waxed either of them in about 25 years, when it comes to internal engine cleanliness I just have a phobia about any dust or grit getting into an engine.

Just my hangup. :confused:

You are absolutely correct, and I can't argue with your logic. I have a weird OCD type deal though. While I openly admit that I rarely wash either Corvette, and probably haven't waxed either of them in about 25 years, when it comes to internal engine cleanliness I just have a phobia about any dust or grit getting into an engine.

Just my hangup. :confused:

ENGINE eer......:thumbs:

since the engine won,t fire and run consistently it would seem that theres either a fuel delivery issue or a ignition issue, but you state that it fires up with a shot of starter fluid, then dies, this may indicate either a weak ignition or a fuel delivery issue ,but its tendency to run initially on the starter fluid, then not fire up after several trys with the starter fluid, would be heavily weighted toward a fuel ratio delivery issue like a carb float or needle valve thats not functioning and allowing too much fuel, into the cylinders thus running a bit rich and fouling the plugs

post clear detailed pictures of the plugs as they can tell you a great deal about the combustion chamber conditions

Last edited: