Rack and pinion steering

MYBAD79

ok... getting serious about the R&P conversion: local junkyard has several power assisted racks off a 1992 GrandAm or Chevy Cavalier. They have standard, sport and variable assist.... I assume I want the "sport" rack ???

I'll be going there Saturday morning depending on weather. Hopefully the inner tie rods and boots are in good shape.... :bump:

Are these units already removed, or still on the car? If they're still on the car and you want an extra pair of hands to help out, let me know. I enjoy parts searching at the U-pull-it type of junkyards. (I struck out last time when I was looking for a rack for my C4 suspension conversion. I ended up having to get a custom width unit fabricated.)
Either way, keep us updated on the conversion.

Mike

Hi

Yes, keep us posted.
Unfortunately, no more junkjards over here in Luxembourg.
All cars are exported to junkjards or Africa to do an other 20 jeras of service.

Rgds. Günther

Hi

Yes, keep us posted.
Unfortunately, no more junkjards over here in Luxembourg.
All cars are exported to junkjards or Africa to do an other 20 jeras of service.

Rgds. Günther

HUMMpgh...I guess they put carbs on them, then....

and YES, you want the sport rack if possible...MY rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock and is quite fast enough, I THINK it's the sport rack, not sure...you maybe want to confirm, if you have a selection and lemme know what is...obviously the sport rack would have less turns of the wheel than standard...but like maybe 2.3? turns L-L?? I dunno....curious to find out though please....

U come up with brackets yet?? make sure to get ALL the pieces to that grand am mounting system there, the two clamps and the rubber bushings....

the tie rods have been used in the past, but didn't work for MY install, I used modded up stock tie rods stock joints with a extended sleeve i cut and had welded up longer....

I would try using the stock tie rod ends if at all possible....overall reliability...

pick up a whole ton of input linkage crap so you can mix/match what you need/want for your install....

lemme know...alll EARS over this shit, one of my button topics....

:3rd::bounce::mime:

I checked Rockauto and AutoZone's websites. The racks for a '92 GrandAm are "standard" and "sport", "standard" is 2 3/4 turns L-L and "sport" is 2 1/2 turns with more effort required to turn the wheel.
I'll just count the turns at the junkyard and compare the racks.

I'm with these guys, be sure to document how and what you do. This is something I am looking at in the future.

I checked Rockauto and AutoZone's websites. The racks for a '92 GrandAm are "standard" and "sport", "standard" is 2 3/4 turns L-L and "sport" is 2 1/2 turns with more effort required to turn the wheel.
I'll just count the turns at the junkyard and compare the racks.

I thought I had the standard ratio, but didn't want to state that for a fact.....

so 2.75 is what I have....certainly more than 2.5 turns anyway....

I think the standard is fine for the chassis/setup/handling....but I can't see it should be any differance in the overall performance....pick the newer/cleaner rack, I got very lucky, the rack was nearly new for 35 bux....

:shocking::tomato:

Grand Am Rack

Does it have to be a '92 or are other years worthy of the "new life" given it as a transplant? I have thought about getting the junkyard unit and if its no good use it as a trade in core for a rebuilt unit at the "Zone". Probably save a few bucks.

is the autozone core more that $35? Seems like it would be tough to save much unless you got a darn good deal at the 'yard. But that's entirely possible

The cheap unit has a core charge of $80 the most expensive one is $100. So no, not any real money... just kind of a backup plan. I have a bunch of hours and gas money invested in junkyard parts stored in my basement that are mostly useless for what I got them for. My wife says "There must be a reason that "junk" was in a junkyard".:mime:

The cheap unit has a core charge of $80 the most expensive one is $100. So no, not any real money... just kind of a backup plan. I have a bunch of hours and gas money invested in junkyard parts stored in my basement that are mostly useless for what I got them for. My wife says "There must be a reason that "junk" was in a junkyard".:mime:

Tell her she's lucky they not in the dishwasher.....:rose::stirpot::harhar::suicide:

Update

Went to the junkyard today and had a look at a few racks. Unfortunately they are all still installed and I got there one hour before they close so I'll go back and get it next Saturday.

Here's the rack in the GrandAm V6:

2148d529bbe088c.jpg

2148d529bb52f8a.jpg

Junk Yard Daze!

Aint the junkyard fun? That thing looks like its sitting with the frame on the ground, can't reach half the bolts from the top.... probably a big fire ant bed on one side and a foot deep mudhole on the other. The one tool you decided not to bring with you is the first one you'll need. At least half the engine is gone.

I hope the one I finally find in the junkyard is as easy as yours is gonna be!

Rock Auto

I got a grandam sport rack from www.rockauto.com. I shopped around locally at yards and at national auto/pep boys/dealer/auto zone. I went with the Rock! It came in a box and was left at my front door by the ups guy. I had it in two days. It came with the rubber mounts; it didn't come with the clamps.

The dealer didn't have it. National said would get me a sport rack but when I picked it up at the counter, it turned out to be a 2.75 stnd rack. Rock price with shipping was similar to autozone with tax.

Does the refurbished rack come with the tie rods ?

The junkyard wants $65 for the rack, haven't talked about tie rods yet... if he wants more money to include the rods then I might just order from Rockauto, at least then I can be sure to get the sport rack and I don't have to clean it and the rubber boots are not dry rotted....

Does the refurbished rack come with the tie rods ?

The junkyard wants $65 for the rack, haven't talked about tie rods yet... if he wants more money to include the rods then I might just order from Rockauto, at least then I can be sure to get the sport rack and I don't have to clean it and the rubber boots are not dry rotted....

I got aluminum tie rods on ebay for about $11 each. I think I got them from this guy - hotrod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIE-...trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ230047281891

Which RockAuto part number did you order?

Go to Rock <1992><Pontiac><GrandAm GT - sporty model><3.3 litre - the biggest engine><Steering><rack & pinion complete unit>

It looks like this unit is used in many many many models. Spend a few minutes on their website - go to a different year/model and compare. They have photos of the units.

ACDELCO Part # 3616340 {#88959417}
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) LOW RATIO STG, 2-1/2 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK AT Steering WHL.; 2 DOORS
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) LOW RATIO STG, 2-1/2 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK AT Steering WHL.; 4 DOORS

$91.79 $27.50 $119.29

It is my recommendation you use the 2.75 turn rack, reason is, that I think the travel may well be limited on the throw for the 2.5 turn rack.....only Jim Shay would know from CF......but I did get a later Camaro steering box for my '70 Lemans/GTO, and noticed the car did not have the steering radius, in fact it was useless that a way.....so I pulled the box apart, and found limit shim on one end and I forget....travellor?? gear?? shape on the other, so tore apart the old box, and saw the differances....so they just limited the box internally...so the old bos was X turns the new one from the camaro did not have the throw on the pittman arm....but it did when I modded it....

for the tiney ratio change on this rack thing....I suspect that is what they did, just limit the throw.....

now having said all that, my shark with 255/50/17 in front and the tires slightly rubbing on the frame either side, the shark has LESS turning radius than the old '87 vette did....

having said all the above, I WONDER if maybe that 2.5 turn limited travel? rack maybe better off afterall, in that the tires don't rub...for ME, that is...

final analysis is my car drives fine on the street for some 6+ years now....

:hi: