T5 5 speed Tranny Into an 82

gr8vet

Pictorial of Installing a WC 1995 T5 5 Speed Transmission into a 1982 Corvette

Many thanks to Curby (Jeff), Blackbetty, Twin Turbo, 78Indypace and many others on vettemod.com who provided much insight and have made many posts on such things.

Having performed many mods on C3's and C5's this is by far the coolest thing you can add to a manual C3. The '82 came with a 700r4 transmission with NO other option available. The 700r4 does have over drive but the characteristics of the shift points just suck at best. After my friend Jeff acquired the above T5 and decided to go another route on his 73 it wound up in my hands. Luckily we came about this already installed, tested, and rebuilt from our new friend Andrew, also from Alabama.

The pictures somewhat tell the story. Hit this link for all the pics and stuff.

http://tobyco.com/t5install/t5install.htm

64%20%20checking%20fitment_jpg.jpg

IMG_2416_2.JPG

IMG_2419_5.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like it belongs in there :) Shifter is also dead on in the stock location from the looks of it.

It is pretty close, close enough that I ain't gonna fiddle with an offset. :thumbs:

I forgot to mention the fire, if you notice, there is some melted insulation on the left. Oh yea, let me knock out that one last little bit....... :hunter: Then all hell broke loose and all that greasy crap ( I thought I had cleaned up) in tunnel flamed up. I tried to pat it out, then, lets blow on it, stupid, woof, bigger flames! I don't think I have moved that fast in 30 years, dang near killed myself getting to the fire extinguisher. Hit my head, tripped over the lift, slipped on some old tranny fluid. One shot and it was out, of course that stuff goes everywhere! Then of course you look around and make sure no one saw that. :blush: Later I thought, this thing is insured for $26,000, should have thrown gas on it............ Just kidding.

Thanks for the help!!!

tt

Looks good, looks good! It will be nice when I can finally test my setup and run it through the gears. That way I can drive up and check out everything. :mime:

Looks good, looks good! It will be nice when I can finally test my setup and run it through the gears. That way I can drive up and check out everything. :mime:

Hey man, whatz up! Got the transmission in and now been busy with real work. Looking forward to seeing you project complete too. Give us a heads up if your coming this way so we will not be busy.

Quick question, I do feel a little vibration when you rev the engine with the new clutch and flywheel. I am assuming you had it balanced. Was it done as a complete unit, or piece by piece if so. Of course I took it apart and cleaned everything and did not mark anything for reinstall so I am sure it did not go back in as it was received. It is not bad but noticeable. It may just be the fact of going from a 700r4 to this new setup which is much tighter and translates more vibration from the car.

Thanks

tt

What kind of mount did you end up using for the transmission? Is your driveshaft balanced?

What kind of mount did you end up using for the transmission? Is your driveshaft balanced?

Here ya go on the mount. I have since cut a hockey puck in half and using 1/2 on each side as a dampener between the mount and the tranny.

66%20%20New%20Bracket%202_jpg.jpg

BTW, you can call me alot of things, but an class 1 ASME welder is not one of them. :cry: But, I do make 'em stick, those welds wont break. I wound up with about 1/4 gap on the ends so I had to do some dirt dobbing. The top welds actually look semi professional. :amused:

Just used same drive shaft, no balance since factory. But, the vibration is noticeable while sitting still and rev'ing engine. It does not get worse with increased RPM.

Now I do feel a little vibration in the seat while driving, assuming this is just normal road and engine vibration stuff.

Hope ya taked to Jeff, may be a good find for both you guys.

thanks

tt

Im gonna say 90% of that vibration is from the mount setup. Anything less than a stock style rubber mount, even a poly mount, and you are gonna get a good bit of vibration. Some could be driveshaft too. But if it doesnt bother you then I would say no worries. If jeff makes a good find then my car will officially be 40 different cars in one :bonkers: