What's the best solution for this?

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
Hey guys, I've searched for a clue or an answer, and no dice. I realize this is very beginner, but I need to start fabricating somewhere.

In reference to another thread I started, I think I am leaning towards using a fuel cell for my engine swap. However, the one guy I found that did this, needed to cut the back 'trunk' wall to make some room; about 2".

The question is, if I move forward with this and modify that back wall, how do I patch up the large hole? I'm inclined to use fiberglass, but I have no such knowledge, so if that is a good direction, where is a good source on this sort of fiberglass fabrication? Or should I make the repair panel out of sheet metal? Don't really have any skill there, but I could fumble my way through it, if it's the best solution. There's also the third option of using the removed fiberglass panel, then using metal to make up the 2".

What do you all think?

Depends on the size of the fuel cell. By fuel cell you mean a steel container with a bladder inside right? Not those silly plastic things?

I have a 32 gallon fuel cell in mine and needed to cut out the rear frame crossmember to get it to fit but I would think that you could get a smaller 22 gal. one that wasn't as deep as the 32 gallon one. it would almost be bolt in.

I would think about it some more before you start cutting because if the rear firewall is interfering it won't take much until you hit the crossmember right there.

I can't lie to you Marck, a silly plastic cell was an option. Here are the two I was looking at:
Silly Black thing 25"L x 17"W x 9"H
Al cell 24"L x 20"W x 10"H

He used the 16 gal plastic one. I think a 32 gal would be waaay to big for me. I don't ever plan racing this in anything over a few laps (and that's if I ever make it to The Glen). Would the 20 gal Al one I listed be a good option? Both come with foam which is a big deal to me to prevent fuel aeration. I really don't know much about fuel cells, so could you explain why the plastic one (or the Al, too) is a bad option? Are they dangerous? I don't see a bladder listed in either one.

But like I said, he used the 16 gal plastic cell and had some issues fitting it in. From the pictures I've seen, it seemed to have fit well except for the fiberglass interference. Keep in mind I have only done some preliminary measurements under the car for myself, and it seems the 16 gal would fit well. I planned on making a cardboard box to the cell's dimensions to see how best to fit it.

If you do it, get a fuel safe cell. You can order them in a lot of different sizes.

I don't see the plastic or alu ones holding up in a bad crash, they will split open. A real bladder type fuel cell won't.

WOW. I don't think I could afford any of those. Not even the 8 gal cells.
I did a search on summit for tanks with liners and none of them had sumps. It looks like fuel safe cells are the same way. If I'm running an external fuel pump, won't I have pick up issues (one of the key reasons I'm seriously considering a fuel cell)? How did you hook up your tank in that beast of a vette you have?

Not that I'm trying to compromise my safety at all, but isn't one of the non bladder tanks that I picked out just as dangerous (if not less) than the tank I have stock? That's an old bladder in there now and pre '75's never even had them. Also, don't modern cars have plastic, no-liner tanks?

They have either corner pickups or a pickup box w/ trap doors. They don't need a sump.

Yes, modern cars have plastic tanks, but I thought you were going to go race it?

They have either corner pickups or a pickup box w/ trap doors. They don't need a sump.

Yes, modern cars have plastic tanks, but I thought you were going to go race it?

Sorry if I was misleading, when I said I would take it to a track, I meant for some hot laps and that's about it. I'm talking open track days. This mostly a street machine with new technology balls (eventually). Nothing serious.

If this was a going to be a serious race car, street legal or purpose built, I would definitely go for one of those cells. Without a doubt. But as I see it, it's a bit too much for my direction. Do you agree?

And you're right. The few models I looked at mentioned the pick up in the bottom right side. That slipped my mind. I figured they had to have a good solution since they are serious business cells.

Contact Z-man. He has a stock tank and an external pump. He uses a small "tank" that is below the main tank to draw fuel from. He claims that he has no fuel starvation issues. I think he has a website with a pretty good write-up of what he did.

Cutting away the wall sounds like something to be avoided (for a number of reasons).

Contacted the man with a few questions after I found his site. I'd forgotten about that set up. I saw it on the "welding a sump on the fuel tank" thread when I first searched about different options. That seems like a good option as well. So many ways to skin the EFI cat.

Do you feel it's dangerous to cut the back wall? I was thinking a possible cabin fire risk if the unimaginable happened, but if the patch panel consists of the same or better materials of the original wall (all it is I believe is a layer of thin fiberglass), wouldn't the modification be just as safe as the original wall itself? But I could very well be missing something.
If I can avoid cutting the wall with a reasonable solution, I will. I'd rather not fool with the body as much as possible.