Singular cause of hazard and turn signal failure?

enkeivette

Is there one thing that could go out (relay?) that would cause my hazards and turn signals to stop working?

In looking at the wiring diagrams for my '73, the only common thing I see is that the circuit for both goes through the horn/turn signal switch connector on the steering column near the ignition switch. Both wires are next to each other on that connector. Maybe a bad connection at that connector?

After that connector, each circuit goes to its respective switch inside the steering column. Don't know if there are any common connections within the steering column. Maybe the turn signal switch itself?

DC

Thats what I was thinking. My brights stopped working too, and sometimes my headlights will flicker. Need to replace that switch.

On that note my horn doesnt work either. Ill check that connection, thank you.

Voltage check your fuses with ign on engine running or not, and find one that the steel clips have corroded a little/lot? and allow the fuse to run hot, melting the internal solder connection holding the element/fuse wire/conductor to the little silver end caps....

now this heat can also be caused by the crimps on the steel clips that go to the copper buss bars in back, they can also corrode and heat up, sometimes even melting the black housing ......

BTDT in several cars.....just replaced one for that exact reason in my '72, it was the a/c power no a/c at all, not even a blower, it's the lo power section of the control pack, :shocking:

If you have power TO the turn signal switch, yet no turn or hazard lights, both flashers are known good, I'd be looking at the turn signal switch itself. The headlight dimmer switch is mounted on the column and is actuated by a rod from a pivot on the turn signal lever- if it's bad your headlights could act as you describe. The horn also runs thru the turn signal switch, but it's more of a pass thru contact.

Is the dimmer switch (brights) the same switch as the turn signal lever switch?

Is the dimmer switch (brights) the same switch as the turn signal lever switch?

Actuated by same LEVER, but totally different switch, dimmer is down on the left side of the column, actuated by a rod from the lever...it's a push/push switch, same action as the older floor switch....the T/S switch is the ~4" diameter sw you can see when you pull the wheel....