Bigbrother

My only comment about the 700 trans is to use the BRUTE sunshell, and then there is a mod to IT also....a Torrington thrust bearing instead of a bush bearing in there....supposed to be the bees knees on fixing that issue....I am a believer in the Trans Go shift kits.....been good to me over the years.....I built my own 700 in a motor home some time ago....

Did it for the overdrive....4 grand at 60 was a bit much, .....

Camaro transmission? not a big deal other than the extra bit to attach the torque arm (they used the same internals).

Did they upgrade the transmission?

I was told it was from an 88 vette... I can't tell the difference.

The old one has a K stamped on the housing.
2013-01-04_11-04-54_693.jpg
This one has a V.
2013-01-08_14-09-10_321.jpg

Reason i wanted it was for the abuse valve so it wouldn't kick when i drop it in gear.

My only comment about the 700 trans is to use the BRUTE sunshell, and then there is a mod to IT also....a Torrington thrust bearing instead of a bush bearing in there....supposed to be the bees knees on fixing that issue....I am a believer in the Trans Go shift kits.....been good to me over the years.....I built my own 700 in a motor home some time ago....

Agreed. 4k@60 is a bit much.
I coulda woulda gone with the brute shell and thrust bearing. Im going to mention it to angel.

I took a lil break... everything is so damn annoying to work on with the tiny space between parts.

To all commenting... a heartfelt thanks... I mean it. The info and tips are a big assist! Big up!

Sent from my dumb 4g motorolly

Last edited:
So far i only got the old muffler hangers unbolted. Im looking thru the parts garage for the longer hangers.
2013-01-08_14-08-30_757.jpg

The trans was placed on a dolly so i can clean and prep for paint before mounting it.
2013-01-08_12-02-13_229.jpg

And after its all said and done...viola!
2013-01-08_14-09-10_321.jpg

Hopefully this will be done and mounted in an hour or so.

Im gonna replace the detent cable now since the old one is sticking.

I want to completely polish my 700r4 before I do my C3/C4 conversion on my 82.

Can't blame ya... i was sooo ready to do this one.
I do love that there's so many aluminum pieces we can polish on these vettes.
Keeping it polished is a whole other story. I think theres a sealant avail to keep things shiny for a while. :confused::confused:

I was told he used a beast sunshell and a torrington thrust bearing. Angel now wants me to ask if you could please tell me about the differences between a brute sunshell and a beast sunshell.
Thanks.

I was told he used a beast sunshell and a torrington thrust bearing. Angel now wants me to ask if you could please tell me about the differences between a brute sunshell and a beast sunshell.
Thanks.

OK, the old OEM sunshell was a stamped out looking thing, thin in the neck area that slid over some shaft or other, the neck had inner splines to engage the other shaft....where the neck was bent/stamped/whatever was not too strong, and so the thing would sheer at that point, leaving the outer rim to turn nothing on the following shaft/gear cluster/whatever.....

and then the BRUTE sun shell had another problem from heat, and traced down to the thrust bearing, and so another mod to put a Torrington on it....

Been too long now since I built that 700, but so far it's hanging in there.....

even under a 8000 lbs GVW Motor home...course it is just a 350 chebby engine good for only ~300 ft lbs too.....

really would like to see higher line pressures, but don't want to pull out all the stops on that one, YET....

Last edited:
OK, the old OEM sunshell was a stamped out looking thing, thin in the neck area that slid over some shaft or other, the neck had inner splines to engage the other shaft....where the neck was bent/stamped/whatever was not too strong, and so the thing would sheer at that point, leaving the outer rim to turn nothing on the following shaft/gear cluster/whatever.....

and then the BRUTE sun shell had another problem from heat, and traced down to the thrust bearing, and so another mod to put a Torrington on it....

Been too long now since I built that 700, but so far it's hanging in there.....

even under a 8000 lbs GVW Motor home...course it is just a 350 chebby engine good for only ~300 ft lbs too.....

really would like to see higher line pressures, but don't want to pull out all the stops on that one, YET....

That's great info there...
I was trying to find the brute shell. After a quick search, cant find anywhere offering a "brute" sun shell for sale or any info. Maybe the brute sun shell has a better quality so we asked.

However "the beast" sun shell was easy to find. Theres some info here: http://beastsunshell.com/

I suspect both are comparable in quality. However the beast already comes with a thrust bearing. No mod needed.

Last edited:
I want to completely polish my 700r4 before I do my C3/C4 conversion on my 82.

Can't blame ya... i was sooo ready to do this one.
I do love that there's so many aluminum pieces we can polish on these vettes.
Keeping it polished is a whole other story. I think theres a sealant avail to keep things shiny for a while. :confused::confused:

I am almost done polishing all my suspension parts. I did a thread on them.

Thread searched and replied...

U got skilla magilla. ;)

Check your 3 letter spring codes.

FHC spring code.

Chart lists that as a FRONT 88-91 93.1 spring.

I looked at the spring today and although marked "FHC" it has the square rubber pad blocks on the ends of the spring and the rest of the front assembly from a later car, at least a 91 or newer. I'm not sure which year the design changed.

For starters...
2013-01-15_14-10-59_120.jpg
Went by the local vatozone and seen a starter rebuild kit. That got ne thinkin... jeez, id hate to pull the damn starter anytime soon. I wonder if its worth it to check it out.

Sure enough, when i opened it up i could see that the contacts were going bad. The darn thing still worked, but i knew it could be a problem in a matter of months not years.

So... we rebuilt it.
First we tried to find a replacement plunger. Their available online, but not locally. I seen the copper contact disc is still thick, so it got emory cloth to smooth out the pits and lines.
2013-01-15_14-12-32_38.jpg
2013-01-15_15-40-28_552.jpg
The armature got a cleanup on the contact too.
I also cleaned up the housing, bearings, drive assembly, and made sure all moving parts moved freely.
2013-01-15_13-57-53_308.jpg
2013-01-15_13-58-13_250.jpg
2013-01-15_13-58-31_617.jpg
Next i wire brushed the 2 copper bolts and leads we were reusing
2013-01-15_13-58-51_720.jpg
All we had left were the plunger contacts to replace which came with the rebuild kit
2013-01-15_15-41-11_862.jpg
We made sure the contact ends laid flat in the housing to prevent premature fails.
It didnt take long and was easy enough.
I am impressed by the ministarter and would recommend anyone to use one instead of the behemouth starter which comes stock.
2013-01-16_11-48-27_673.jpg
The starter cable is too short now. I am going to have to fab up an extension later.

Meanwhile i rerouted the harness a final time.
2013-01-16_11-49-10_549.jpg
I went behind the a/c airbox and avoided the exhaust a bit better than before.
2013-01-16_11-49-03_102.jpg
Ill need some heat shield tape and it should be fine.
What didnt look good was my washer bottle. I went ahead and replaced it now while the access was available.
2013-01-16_11-48-47_272.jpg

All i need now is to solve the starter cable problem, install the new detent cable, and install the transmission dipstick tube to be done with this troublesome episode... that is till i have to connect the exhaust lol!
2013-01-16_11-47-56_812.jpg

Later!

Last edited: