Warning to those welding

INteresting article.....I am told that freon turns into phosgene when sprayed into a open flame....so years ago I had some shit in a spray can sold as Freeze one, or similar...used in electronics for cooing components looking for thermal intermittents...it would frost most balls really quick...so working on a intermittent GAS clothes dryer....the gas contorl coils open up and turn off the heat...so I froze the coils, the gas turn back on, ignited, and burned....

about took me apart....:ill::gurney:

and now, nearly 20 years later, I wonder....I attribute it mostly to age...but?? that article relates pretty good....

:gurney:

Carbonyl chloride, phosgene gas was used in WWI along w/ mustard gas (sulfur mustards), that should give a good idea as to what it really does. That guy got lucky. Tetracholorethene and similar chlorine compounds have been outlawed here for ages. A real common one was called "tri" for trichloroethane, Tetrachloroethene is also called perchloroethene, or " per". It used to be commonly used in dry cleaning. Brake solvents here don't contain it anymore.

Carbonyl chloride, phosgene gas was used in WWI along w/ mustard gas (sulfur mustards), that should give a good idea as to what it really does. That guy got lucky. Tetracholorethene and similar chlorine compounds have been outlawed here for ages. A real common one was called "tri" for trichloroethane, Tetrachloroethene is also called perchloroethene, or " per". It used to be commonly used in dry cleaning. Brake solvents here don't contain it anymore.

That right there is a issue with me, as I need carb/brake cleaners that actually cut grease not some detergent that MAY do the job in 30 minits or more...

I have found the red button cleaners are still more or less the real stuff, but it's changed.....the white button shit, I don't buy...it's detergent based, and useless....

I also note the 1.25/can is now 2.50/can....bastards....
anymore I use gallon can of some solvent, MEK, Acetone and a paintbrush for really clean degreasing....or soak shit in a pan of gasoline overnight....

:D

Spray the brake cleaner on your hand and you'll see your skin turn white from the grease being wiped off your skin and even from under your skin...that degreasing enough???

I spent a couple years in a plant that made aircraft fasteners. They used boiling perc for de-greasing. Bad stuff. I used an oxygen tank to work in the pit. Still got a little light-headed once. I think they had to change over recently too. Dry cleaning retrofitted 10 years ago or more.

I spent a couple years in a plant that made aircraft fasteners. They used boiling perc for de-greasing. Bad stuff. I used an oxygen tank to work in the pit. Still got a little light-headed once. I think they had to change over recently too. Dry cleaning retrofitted 10 years ago or more.

Aircraft fasteners?? interesting shit....what type??? I happen to have some exploding rivets from my ex FIL....who used them on Long Island years ago...

setting in the garage....unused for decades now...

I suspect they are no good, as Florida humidity over the years, but there they are....about 6" cube worth....various sizes:thumbs::amazed:

Aircraft fasteners?? interesting shit....what type???

Kaynar. Anything and everything on a plane. Stamped, forged, cold headed, silver plated, gold plated, cad plated, black oxide, bare, spring steel, carbon fiber, heat treated, salt quenched, fresh water quenched, aluminum, S.S., annodized, engine mount, track mount, everything.

TWA had a bunch of vapor degreasers around. Perc that was heated to 160*. the tanks all looked empty but you could see a line about 3' down from the top. Good stuff- hang a greasy part on a wire and drop it into the tank, let it hang for a minute and pull it out. Came out clean. If the part was something that would rust, you had to spray it with something as soon as you could or you could watch it rust almost immediatly.

TWA had a bunch of vapor degreasers around. Perc that was heated to 160*. the tanks all looked empty but you could see a line about 3' down from the top. Good stuff- hang a greasy part on a wire and drop it into the tank, let it hang for a minute and pull it out. Came out clean. If the part was something that would rust, you had to spray it with something as soon as you could or you could watch it rust almost immediatly.

Wasn't that shit called Perk/Ethelyn?? some similar name?? some job site or other, shop/whatever I got a sniff of that shit.....

oh yeh, that could clean the snot out a great APE.....:crap::thumbs:

Chris, thanks for posting that. I lifted it & posted it on Shovelhead Forum, and it has three pages of replies already, mostly saying "Shit! Thanks for posting that!"

I said the same thing, I had just used some chlorinated stuff before welding.

good stuff

8 years in the 70s with air industries in garden grove Used a lot of it back then. Great cleaner. Some times people did stay around it to long. But I am sure you have heard all the stories about how bad it was for every thing.
Back in the tocotron days. (bird knows what a tocotron is.)

8 years in the 70s with air industries in garden grove Used a lot of it back then. Great cleaner. Some times people did stay around it to long. But I am sure you have heard all the stories about how bad it was for every thing.

tocotron?? gotta ask....what???

:tomato:

High frequency induction heater. Kaynar used them to heat treat some fasteners. The Big 3 used them to heat treat valve seats in cylinder heads.
You had to know what you were doing to repair them, or that big ass tube inside would drop you dead in a heart beat.

High frequency induction heater. Kaynar used them to heat treat some fasteners. The Big 3 used them to heat treat valve seats in cylinder heads.
You had to know what you were doing to repair them, or that big ass tube inside would drop you dead in a heart beat.

What did the tube have about it so lethal?? HVoltage or was it that and the RF??

What did the tube have about it so lethal?? HVoltage or was it that and the RF??

Imagine a tube the size of a bowling ball, operating at 2KV and 200 Khtz, and acting like an enormous cap.

Per-clor-ethylene or something like that. Walk into a dry cleaner and you can smell it. Same stuff they use.