weatherstriping whoes

Belgian1979vette

I'm in the process of working on my doors and did some fitting.

Seems like the front part at the top of the door weatherstriping (the big chunk that goes aroudn the corner) really rubs on the A-pillar striping. I checked to see if that was mounted right, and it seems to be correct as the rubber just ends at the same height as my chrome corner mouldings above the window. I read on the net that this condition causes leaks.

Does the A-pillar striping needs to be trimmed to fit the door ?

I read on the Corvette Foramen you bought metro - that's the worst imitation available. Wait till you try the t-tops.
PS I'm not looking to sell you anything.

I read on the Corvette Foramen you bought metro - that's the worst imitation available. Wait till you try the t-tops.
PS I'm not looking to sell you anything.

I already have the T-tops on. Fitting them on the T-tops was not the issue. They do have to compress, which they do after a while. CRC apparently has the same issue.

As for quality the reviews are all over the place, with no advantage in either one direction. I assume quality is all over the place as well, as with everything aftermarket.

CRC is the one that is most talked about on CF, however and that is a big however, one of their vendors is involved which makes it at least suspicious.
I bought mine way back, when the forums were not all that commonly around and comments sure were not there.

Are factory seals still available BTW ?

PS : as for the "quality" of the stuff we buy and the so called "reputation" of vendors : throughout my resto I tried several vendors and all have their issues. Last order I did with Paragon was a new headlight actuator since mine started leaking after using it several times. The one I got had the pipe on the hood side bent with some plyers. Great quality when the plating is gone in that specific place. The answer I got was that they contacted their seller and that was how they were going to be for the future...
If I would have know all of this up front I would have bought a Ferrari. In the end I think it would have been as expensive as my corvette but they still have all of the parts available for the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I don't remember anymore, who what, BUT the replacement rubber on my '72 vert seals perfect on the PASSENGER side......but no matter what, it will NOT SEAL WORTH SHIT ON MY SIDE....I get more airflow off the rear of my side window, over my friggin' EAR, than the A/C pushes out the vents.....

:censored:

I've found the problem. It seems I have pulled the strip on the pillar to far out. I've removed it some and put it correctly and now the bulky thing on the door slides under it. It pushed against the door jamb area there however causing it to be pushed into the glass and causing the door to be somewhat hard to close.

Can I assume the latter is correct ?

All replacement rubber weatherstripping isn't even close to what GM used in desity or fit. I have used a few Corvette Rubber kits and while they are better than most, they still aren't of OEM quality. My wife's 70 LT-1 roadster passenger side door weatherstripping had a bulge in it that made closing the doors difficult. I ahd bought the product early on in the restoration plan and it was 2 years later when it was installed so I can understand why no warranty but, it still makes you mad when a product is so far off of the original. Both doors shut hard for a couple of weeks after the installation but shut fine now. The passengers side weatherstripping has torn through the slick outer coating (I used silicone grease to lubricate it) and is now flaking away with every use. Seems to be problems with carpet kits lately too.

Sadly no replacement parts offerings from GM for our Vettes today.

All replacement rubber weatherstripping isn't even close to what GM used in desity or fit. I have used a few Corvette Rubber kits and while they are better than most, they still aren't of OEM quality. My wife's 70 LT-1 roadster passenger side door weatherstripping had a bulge in it that made closing the doors difficult. I ahd bought the product early on in the restoration plan and it was 2 years later when it was installed so I can understand why no warranty but, it still makes you mad when a product is so far off of the original. Both doors shut hard for a couple of weeks after the installation but shut fine now. The passengers side weatherstripping has torn through the slick outer coating (I used silicone grease to lubricate it) and is now flaking away with every use. Seems to be problems with carpet kits lately too.

Sadly no replacement parts offerings from GM for our Vettes today.

I just drive the car with top down on decent daze now, screw the lousy top fitting, shitty weather seals, and yes, I fought it well/hard enough, and am not stooooopid with all the krazy adjustments and it's much harder with a convertible top than any coupe.....I used to have a hard top for my car, but sold it years ago, BOTH tops worked as new, PERFECT when I bought in '95, no leaks, no wind, but the top stainless windshield did leak at speed, covered it in vinyl, and no leaks/wind noise for many years....

but over time/sun the white top did fail, bought another off the net, was almost 6 months by time I got it installed.....with new rubber....nothing worked good, honestly I wish I stayed with the stuff the car had when I bought it.....

:crap:

pretty sure I bought from Wilcox a few years ago, no big issues.... wish I had used the black instead of the yellow glue.......