Projector headlight project

vette427sbc

A few months ago we upgraded my fathers '55 to a custom set of HID projectors... They made a huge difference driving at night, so of course, I had to have a set. Not wanting to fork over the serious $$$ for someone else to make them for me, Im trying it myself :bestwishes:

I bought a set of cheap :chinese: 5.75" H4 housings. The projectors I went with are Morimoto Minis with their 35watt 5000K bulb/balast kit. (these are the same ones on my fathers car and Im really impressed with their performance)

After much cutting and fitting, they are in the 5.75" housings!
5105FED1-DEB4-4F34-A48B-500561D4E422_zpshcxn2bdz.jpg

I broke the lens to the housing so Ill have to get another set to take the lenses from. Even with these "small" projectors, I had to to some major surgery to the headlight bucket and door. Ill get some pics of that tomorrow. I did get to test the light output and it is not even close to a relayed seal beam. The output and control is really fantastic.

I'm going to re-light my car when I do the flares and the bumpers - but I'm going to use the small diameter HID lights - hopefully, so I don't have to open the doors as much (I'll hinge in the middle so they stay flat and the wind doesn't push them shut at speed)

thus

I'm really interested in how you pull this off

I've been looking to upgrade the lites in my tow van and from what I've found these Cibie ECE / E-Code Glass Headlamps with H4 ralley 130/100 put out 3200 lumins the same as the HID D2S lamps.
Apparently just as good as the projectors less the looks.

H4 lamps come all way way down to 60/55 with 1650 lumins.
I really don't want to get into the expense of the transformers etc.

Of course anything is a big improvement over my 15 year old halogens. :waxer:

I've been looking to upgrade the lites in my tow van and from what I've found these Cibie ECE / E-Code Glass Headlamps with H4 ralley 130/100 put out 3200 lumins the same as the HID D2S lamps.
Apparently just as good as the projectors less the looks.

H4 lamps come all way way down to 60/55 with 1650 lumins.
I really don't want to get into the expense of the transformers etc.

Of course anything is a big improvement over my 15 year old halogens. :waxer:

I have heard really good things about those Cibie ECE bulbs. I guess I should have worded my post about the light output being so much better than a sealed beam... The output along with light control is whats great about a projector setup. Theres a reason I still have my sealed beam aircraft lights on the high beam circuit!

I dont have a nice flat background to show the beam cutoff yet, but you get the idea.
B39DB66E-CBB2-4191-AFFE-55F84CD4146D_zpsklxftexr.jpg

Heres what I had to do the the headlight door to get the projector to fit:
0DBC78F7-5748-41CB-8ACE-0FEB2F785CA4_zpsjomw0p5m.jpg

DABDAE6E-68B8-4FDB-8D76-7EB5C21F1880_zpsohyplaom.jpg

And heres the reason for all the cutting...
71176D8C-2B0F-4261-9237-EE4C1F1A3405_zpspv96nomq.jpg

Finished one side tonight... I drove around with just one headlight to test it out and even with one light it is far better than the candles I was driving with before. The one thing that I HATE and need to find a way to fix is that since the beam is so precise, going over little bumps in the road causes the beam to vibrate which makes it look like a POS with cheap HIDs that flicker at you. My headlight doors are pretty solid but I guess I need to go through all the bushings to make them 110% solid, because its almost embarrassing and people might think I keep flashing my highs at them.
Other than that, these lights are going to make driving at night even better. And besides the fact that they function great, they look way cooler than the old yellow halogens at night :waxer:

Attempt at showing the slight difference in the LED fog light and HID color. There is a difference, but its not overly noticeable. The camera makes it look way more "ricer blue" than it really is.
43B14BD8-C4F5-4BFD-A7AC-36CD4042D678_zpsezqxnyod.jpg

Lens back on
4A5D283A-C83D-449F-AF60-328C082E5D5A_zpsiwnj3xjt.jpg

The 99% finished product!
1E182C55-C154-4C1C-831C-077365D19BA0_zpssycu5bkz.jpg

Still have a little tweaking to do with the alignment and do some quick touch up painting on a few parts but both are in and working! Extremely happy with how they came out and the performance at night

C2B2112D-AADF-49A0-A190-01B6D2F0D8E7_zpsddo6xqm7.jpg

High beams with the GE aircraft lights
4FBB25C3-5749-49CE-BC6A-33CCEF656D52_zpsvlukomxe.jpg

Low beams
836B3A17-95C2-4979-BA29-BFD64A78A968_zpslrirmnvq.jpg

and highs
1C262118-928F-465A-B31D-CD370A6FA3C6_zpse3bkza4q.jpg

:smash:

This is all very fine, BUT, last I heard the FED standards were that headlight centers had to be 18" off the ground....

some of the above pix do not match that measure....course if no one is checking it, like Florida....well.....

the ones that really ring my bell on that score are under the bumper line....

:twitch::bestwishes:

This is all very fine, BUT, last I heard the FED standards were that headlight centers had to be 18" off the ground....

some of the above pix do not match that measure....course if no one is checking it, like Florida....well.....

the ones that really ring my bell on that score are under the bumper line....

:twitch::bestwishes:

I would have to assume fog lights do not have to follow that law, and my headlights are 22.5" from the pavement. :thumbs: Johnny law would have a fit if he saw the rest of my non DOT approved modifications :rofl:

Oh boy..... You just added another project to my 2014 calendar...... :smash:

My headlights don't work at all right now, as long as I only drive during daylight it's fine but it sure is annoying not being able to drive it during evening hours......

thats why it is vital to comply with all federal regulations pertaining to automobiles, it is for your safety:censored:i kew i couldn't say that and keep a straight face.:yahoo:

thats why it is vital to comply with all federal regulations pertaining to automobiles, it is for your safety:censored:i kew i couldn't say that and keep a straight face.:yahoo:

I just saying that because the nazis in Maryland knocked a neighbor friend off the road for headlights in a chrome shark, off the road....this maybe 20 years ago, and he was fighting the jerks, and so being older then me ever....he was going to retire where his custom shark was welcome.....

Can't recall the guy's name but drive right to his house.....not even 1/4 mile away and around the corner.....

:surrender:

I just ran across these 5.75" projectors. Pretty pricey, but do you think they would fit out cars?

prd_106.jpg

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom....ategory_id=17/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd106.htm

i bought some hella halogen housings, anybody know which aircraft landing lights and where to get them and i guess i need to upgrade the wiring?

i bought some hella halogen housings, anybody know which aircraft landing lights and where to get them and i guess i need to upgrade the wiring?

I would recommend relaying the harness as per daniel stern's relay diagram.
These are the landing lights:
http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSIMItem/bcrw/simid/1804/item.html

I just ran across these 5.75" projectors. Pretty pricey, but do you think they would fit out cars?

prd_106.jpg

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom....ategory_id=17/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd106.htm

The LED stuff is cool but from the looks of that pic I dont think those would fit in the sub bucket. Even if you modified that, I still dont think it would clear the bucket posts on the headlamp door

One of my future projects is going to be "better headlights" .... I'd really appreciate a detailed parts list and "how to" ..... While I can weld, build engines and stuff...... "I am not an electrician" :rain:

One of my future projects is going to be "better headlights" .... I'd really appreciate a detailed parts list and "how to" ..... While I can weld, build engines and stuff...... "I am not an electrician" :rain:

I can drop off a spool of wire sometime, no sweat.....it's really simple, all you do it keep replaceing fuses and changing wires 'till it works.....

:shocking:

Keep in mind, your FUSE bill is less than my LABOR /Transportation bill.....

:rofl::beer:

The wiring is no different from the daniel stern relay diagram except I put a diode between the relay triggers to keep the low beam powered up when the high beam comes on.
The rest is just figuring how to fit these into the vette housing.

Here is the projector, ballast, bulb and shroud kit:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

And here are the headlights I cut up: (ebay title - 5.75" H5001/H5006 Round Housing Conversion H4 Head Light Lamp Diamond Cut Pair)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-75-H5001-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7dfd60c1&vxp=mtr