02 sensor placement

Belgian1979vette

In which position do you place the O2 sensor on a header (what angle, how far in the collector ....

I also use a Moroso crankcase evac system (to the exhaust). Where do I mount these (before/behind the O2 sensor) ?

02 sensors are mounted as close to the engine as possible and an angle no greater than parallel with the ground (to vertical which is preferred).

most recommend companies recommend no further than 6" into the merge pipe/collector/ exhaust pipe... because the hotter the gas the better it works (which will be interesting on my efi install since it won't get mounted until the side pipe)

evacs go AFTER the O2 sensor - otherwise you'll be bathing the sensor in oil and it'll die quickly

02 sensors are mounted as close to the engine as possible and an angle no greater than parallel with the ground (to vertical which is preferred).

most recommend companies recommend no further than 6" into the merge pipe/collector/ exhaust pipe... because the hotter the gas the better it works (which will be interesting on my efi install since it won't get mounted until the side pipe)

evacs go AFTER the O2 sensor - otherwise you'll be bathing the sensor in oil and it'll die quickly

Above all true, but it has to be a HEATED O2 sensor, or the thing will stop working due to lo temps in typical traffic, it be fine on a freeway though....so your computer will be going back/forth between open/closed loop, maybe set codes too.....

:drink:

Not just oil, more importantly oxygen that will be picked up by the sensor making it pig rich. On unwrapped headers install a heated sensor, it will drop out of closed looo otherwise at idle and light loads.

Horiz. is fine but angled uo is preferred because of moisture.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Mine is on the passenger side, wires towards the trans, just before the floor board.

All comments confirm what I was thinking. Thanks

Sensor will go in the collector, some 3-4" behind the primaries. I will mount the evac about a foot away in the pipe just before the crossmember.

It's not a real big prob. if you aim them down slightly, like this. Originally they were angled up but I had to cut up the exhaust and redo the whole front (from the V bands forward) to make it fit the LS headers (originall was SBC stuff) and I didn't feel like redoing it (had to angle them to make the cat cons fit that location) Anotehr thing I did was hack up the collectors and made them into merge collectors with a necked down section right after the primaties merge

250327cf9dda52.jpg