Are you still having fun driving your C3 ?

Belgian1979vette

I have my car some 4 years on the road since a body off restoration. She's a blast to drive, but the last couple of years this is increasingly difficult over here due to traffic congestions and restrictions. I mean I cannot drive from one town to another, say 10 miles without coming across 4 roundabouts, a set of red lights, speed bumps, speed camera's,....and then there is the idiotic overal speed limit of 45 mph on regular roads. Due to this and more often than not, you're driving bumper to bumper and if some granddad, is driving 25 mph up front, everybody is limited to that speed, which with this car is just horrible.

I've been wondering if it is still worth the effort to keep a ca 500 hp car registred, pay taxes, pay insurance and everything else.

Anybody here have the same impression/problem ?

I have my car some 4 years on the road since a body off restoration. She's a blast to drive, but the last couple of years this is increasingly difficult over here due to traffic congestions and restrictions. I mean I cannot drive from one town to another, say 10 miles without coming across 4 roundabouts, a set of red lights, speed bumps, speed camera's,....and then there is the idiotic overal speed limit of 45 mph on regular roads. Due to this and more often than not, you're driving bumper to bumper and if some granddad, is driving 25 mph up front, everybody is limited to that speed, which with this car is just horrible.

I've been wondering if it is still worth the effort to keep a ca 500 hp car registred, pay taxes, pay insurance and everything else.

Nope, still having fun. But when I head out of town this is what I'm looking at.

ploaded_image-0c5bfde9-4d34-4d35-8f32-f18671addb1e.jpg

Probably makes a difference. :bounce:

I dunno man, I drove my '72 around the burb, and met another motor head who is in his 30's , just around the block, we all went though this hurry-cain Irma thing, and our ElZappo just came back on, crews from SW Mississippi came in to our burb to fix all the tree damage....we been without power for 4 daze,

So we met, shook hands, and so a fellow gear head and home remodeling contractor turns up just one block over, I was waving and thumbs up to all the crews patching up the region....

Yeh, stuck in big city traffic is a PIA, we really don't have that shituation around here, although the locals here complain, they dunno jack compared to say Wash DC region that I left some 20 years ago....down here people FLY, a shifting point is 80 mph overdrive was needed for my muncie '72, so I went the 200 4r route MAY be able to get up to 80 mph near DC for 1/2 mile or so, then it's either cops or traffic to slow you down ....

:cool:

Nope, still having fun. But when I head out of town this is what I'm looking at.

ploaded_image-0c5bfde9-4d34-4d35-8f32-f18671addb1e.jpg

Probably makes a difference. :bounce:

That absolutely is a difference. Not anything like that around for the next 300 miles or so.

Yeah took a 3 year break from mine due to moving, kids, work. Not I am back playing with my 74 and loving it again. Just hit the 10 mark of owning it and extremely happy I didn't get rid of it like I was considering.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Traffic around here (northern Front Range of Colorado) has definitely increased with all the f**king people who move here. Rush hour is bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go mixed with NASCAR racing. Luckily, I usually miss most of it because of my job hours.
The county roads are still pretty nice & uncrowded and in off traffic times you can still have fun, just be careful after dark.
At night you can run 85-90 mph for miles and miles on the interstate. In fact if you're in the fast lane, you often need to or you are blocking traffic.
The mountain roads are so blocked up with traffic, they aren't much fun anymore. Weekends, forget it. Bumper to bumper at 30 mph. Weekdays there is less traffic, but you still usually come up on a truck with a line of cars tucked tight up behind him so you can't pass. Nighttime in the mountains is not a good time for speeding. Deer, antelope, mountain goats, raccoons, skunks, whatever come out of nowhere. It will pucker your ass real quick when you come around a hairpin into 6 elk crossing the road, or have a deer bound out of the trees 50 feet in front of you.
But, yeah, I still have fun driving my car, even to work and back every day. I built mine for low end power, in street range, so it doesn't mind slow speeds as much. But it loves to open up and roll when we can.

Last edited:
To add injury to insult, last drive I was out, it was on a saturday evening; I got stuck in traffic behind an idiotic driver doing like 25 mph where you can go 55 mph. At a given time, a bunch of old people on electric bikes were passing us :cry:

To add injury to insult, last drive I was out, it was on a saturday evening; I got stuck in traffic behind an idiotic driver doing like 25 mph where you can go 55 mph. At a given time, a bunch of old people on electric bikes were passing us :cry:

:bonkers: Jeez man, the old farts here in Florida maybe slow but not THAT slow....like I said, this state moves pretty good only place much better was Dallas/Fort Worth Tejas, back in '70.....no such thing as red light to red light for miles on end....but that was before our Fed.gov got into traffic management and 'highway beautification'......like a Tejas cop told me out at the gun/shooting range once.....seeing I was a newbie from out of state, Wash DC....he sez....
'Don't EVER run a red light in Dallas/Tejas or you WILL get killed....

and from the looks of the junkyards it was a complete change over the Maryland/DC region cars in Tejas were rust free but completely totalled from high speed wrecks.....unlike near DC where they are all rusted out junk but not all that worn out ....I am an old junkyard hotrodder for some 60 years now....age 73, some kids from Oregon moved into my burb when I was on a single speed Schwinn bike.....so stopped working on my bike and joined the guys with the '49 Ford, baby blue metallic, dual antennas in back, dual mud flaps built Flathead, lowered, chopped, channeled, louvered hood, and of course full size MOON brushed aluminum hub caps......:clap: then another kid became driving age and got a mid 30's coupe with a V8 engine and I helped him put it together......and so with discovering FUN, me and another guy got together and with my Father's carpenter tools, we built a Go Cart...wood frame lawn mower wheels, fabbed up steering, and a lawn mower engine in back with a centrifugal clutch that grabbed the belt and we took off.....the best was that them kids they show in movies these days, they din't do nothing, we did that back in a loop road around the burb, down hill to a cross street on both ends of the horseshoe and so the winter sands from the road/snow treatment would wash to the bottom of the U forks, so we get on that home built cart and RUN for the bottom of the hill and hit the steering in the sand pile....slide out sideways and hit the gas harder....:clap:

60 years, and the thrill is the same.......:yahoo:

I live in Seattle, and there are precious few days where you can use the car with anything approaching fun. With that said, I save my sanity and fall in love with my car every time I take it to the track or pull the tops off and head for the hills.

Yes, it's worth it. Find a track, do autocross, take a vacation :)

If I was to daily-drive mine (of course, for accuracy sake, we're talking the car before my current project), it'd drive me nuts mostly because it would make me realize that I can't have fun, traffic sucks, and I need a vacation.

Unfortunately I have not driven mine in a few years due to a lengthy restoration but around here there are plenty of open highways and then there are back roads with twisties, dips and dives to make an afternoon's worth of fun. In addition, we have a 1/4 mile drag strip and an auto cross track within an hours drive.
My biggest problem was wiping the stupid grin off my face after such an afternoon's worth of fun.