Did the 81/82 vette come with a 2004R?

496BBC

I really need an OD trans and am looking for one to install in my vette.

I would like to stay with the 200 due to it being as close to drop in as you can get and I don't like the gear ratio of the 700. I'm running 4:10's in the rear and the low first gear of the 700 I don't think will work very well.

I want to find one at a local wrecking yard to install and try it out before I have one built to handle the power of my car.

Got a local vette wrecking yard that should have one I can get

Neal

TimAT here should pipe up shortly, I dunno if a 200 4r can withstand a 500 ci engine....especially with sticky mickey on back....

another guy down the road from me, Dave Amoroso can maybe help he has a built '81 with a BBC I think 402? and a 200 4r he built....

I have a 200 4r but it's a L98 engine shy of 400 hp...but about 425 ft lbs so not too much overload....and it's a 336 street rear 275 rubber, so life is a lot easier....

:mobeer:

Last edited:
The Grand National guys have found all the week links and figured out how to make them last.

I've found a couple builders that guarantee them to 750HP, that ought to be good enough for me.

add a good 3200 stall and I'm in business

Trying to figure out what vehicels to look for at the wrecking yards to get a decent one to try

looks like the Monte Carlo, Caprice, GN, and the Cyclones had them

Neal

Last edited:
The Grand National guys have found all the week links and figured out how to make them last.

I've found a couple builders that guarantee them to 750HP, that ought to be good enough for me.

add a good 3200 stall and I'm in business

Trying to figure out what vehicels to look for at the wrecking yards to get a decent one to try

looks like the Monte Carlo, Caprice, GN, and the Cyclones had them

Neal

Anything with a chebby pattern V8.....but I understand the GN's had something slightly different than others, that made it more durable...unsure what though, maybe just BS by time it's done right...

200-4R is NOT the same as a 200c metric!!!! Although they use some of the same components internally they 200 metric is a 3 speed, the -4r is a 4 speed. C indicates a lockup concerter on the 200C, just like the TH350C. The 200-4R came in 81 or 82 and has the most funky looking pan of all, it has 2 sumps, a large and small one, and a very irregular shape

the 82 vette 700r4 was junk anyways, try for a 88-up 700r4 you will be a lot happier.

Yeh, something about another valve/servo? on the pan area, aux valve body? trick I found out is that on the 700, there is a thing in there called a sun shell, that has a bunch of like flower pedals around the lip, it's cup shaped, hole in the bottom center with internal teeth that is where it breaks all the time, very weak spot...there is a nylon? white bushing that rides on the thing, that needs changed out with another center gear part.....for a torrington bearing....whole upgraded assy is called the Brute, and it's much beefier in that area...the TWO core units I bought had both of them shells torn up the same way.....so be prepared for about 150 bux....maybe cheeper off the net....
also make sure you use a TRANS GO shift kit....not any other....I had one in my vette with a Superior/Fairbanks kit in it, the operational characteristics sucked big tyme.....another reason I went to the 200 for the vette.....
the 700 I built up a year ago or so, over the winter with all the above and a LOT of help from TimAT, is in the motor home project 350 engine 411 rear, 8000 GVW.....
Tim here forgot more about these trannies than most of us know...

:drink:

smaller pump, smaller/less clutches...yadda yadda, not worth the effort

Gene's right, I have a BBC in my 81 and put a 2004r behind it for much the same reasons you've mentioned. It seems a much better fit physically, and more importantly, I like the gearing better than the 700 for my application. With the modifications I made (based on recommendations from Chris @ CK Performance) the trans shifts very smoothly if you leave it in D and drive nice, and much more firmly if you stomp the loud pedal or shift it manually.

The biggest issue is you'll have to modify or replace the trans cross member (you can buy one if you need to) as the mount is in a different location than either the TH350 or 700. If you decided to modify yours, make sure you keep the driveline angle the same....don't ask how I know!!! :banghead:

Here's where I got my parts if you want to build it yourself, or Chris can build a trans for your application.

http://ckperformance.com/index.html

I loked that site over a few days ago

been thinking about ordering the 2004r manual from them

Neal

Gene's right, I have a BBC in my 81 and put a 2004r behind it for much the same reasons you've mentioned. It seems a much better fit physically, and more importantly, I like the gearing better than the 700 for my application. With the modifications I made (based on recommendations from Chris @ CK Performance) the trans shifts very smoothly if you leave it in D and drive nice, and much more firmly if you stomp the loud pedal or shift it manually.

The biggest issue is you'll have to modify or replace the trans cross member (you can buy one if you need to) as the mount is in a different location than either the TH350 or 700. If you decided to modify yours, make sure you keep the driveline angle the same....don't ask how I know!!! :banghead:

Here's where I got my parts if you want to build it yourself, or Chris can build a trans for your application.

http://ckperformance.com/index.html

Neal,

I'd give Chris a call and have the discussion. That way you could figure out what converter would work best for you too. I don't think you'll want to go with the straight manual option, but that's just me.

David

Monte Carlo SS has them for sure, my 86 does

I found a site that allows me to search for the 200 and it will show multiple vehicles that also have this trany.

Anything with a chebby pattern V8.....but I understand the GN's had something slightly different than others, that made it more durable...unsure what though, maybe just BS by time it's done right...[/QUOTE]

Two cases were made, one with multi fit and one without the multi fit option

200-4R is NOT the same as a 200c metric!!!! Although they use some of the same components internally they 200 metric is a 3 speed, the -4r is a 4 speed. C indicates a lockup converter on the 200C, just like the TH350C. The 200-4R came in 81 or 82 and has the most funky looking pan of all, it has 2 sumps, a large and small one, and a very irregular shape

There is an issue with the sump going dry under hard acceleration, the fix is to use the 4L60 (deeper) pan and filter with minor mods

smaller pump, smaller/less clutches...yadda yadda, not worth the effort

There is also a way to add more clutches and increase the clamping pressure to make them hold up to high HP

Neal

Neal,

I'd give Chris a call and have the discussion. That way you could figure out what converter would work best for you too. I don't think you'll want to go with the straight manual option, but that's just me.

David

Will do,

would rather not have full manual, still gona drive the car on the street most of the time.

Neal

The GN Buicks had a different set of springs in the valve body along with some servo changes. There's a boatload of goodies out there now that make the 200-4R more durable.

I'm not much help on the automatic trans choices but I am wondering why you're not considering a manual tranny with OD ??
You said you drive it on the street most of the time... wouldn't a 5spd be more fun ??