McLeod Twin Disk Clutch Recomendation

68/70Vette

I'd like to buy a twin disk clutch. It's for my project 1970. So far I have a 454 cubic engine (block bore and crank stroke). I plan to take it out to 502 cubic inches. (or 496 or whatever the sleeves can be bored out to).

I'm looking at a McLeod 6911-07 RST twin disk clutch. It's rated for a 800 hp engine. I don't think I'll build the engine up to 800 hp, so it appears the 6911-07 should be fine. For ~$200 more, you can buy the same clutch rated for 1000 hp. (A RXT clutch). The RST has an organic based clutch disk material and the RXT has a ceramic based material. For the $200 more, I would otherwise just buy the RXT version, except that the ceramic based disks are described as having a "slightly" aggressive bite at clutch engagement. I've already experienced the problems a trying to buy the "best performance equipment" and driving them on the street. I'm not going to be seriously drag racing this car. I would like a livable clutch engagement, but of course I'd like to know that the clutch could take any future hp upgrades. Anyone has some comments or experiences with these two clutch products. Also, if someone has a recommedation other than the McLeod clutches I be interested to read.
About the "best performance equipment" comment. I bought one of the "best" suspension suspension upgrades from VBP for my 68 Convertible. #550 pound coil springs and a 460 pound rear monospring. With a lot of aluminum upgrades and also deletions, the car probably weighs below 2900 lbs. The suspension is so stiff, it's really not the optimum for highway driving an terrible for city streets. I want to build my 70 as a high performance car, but don't want to add things that make it ackward to drive.

Last edited:
I have a friend here who has that exact McLeod clutch assembly in a very hi HP Duster, has been in there for years and seems to be indistructable. after a few years with the linkage type clutch pedal he swithced it over to Hydraulic, seems to be very satisfied with this arrangement. The only concern I would have with this is its Rotating Mass, the flywheel, twin clutches and the inner plate is a very heavy assembly likely in the area of 60-65 pounds total, now this is great as it has a lot of stored energy when you let the clutch out BUT works against you in engine breaking , and how quick the engine will respond to the throttle. In a Vette you want your motor to be real lively, very quick to the throttle, this is why guys run as light weight clutch assembly as possible for roadracing. That unit is tough enough to stand almost anything you can dream up , but may not contribute to good drivability, Check with RAM, or Fedenza, they
likely have something just as tough but at a fraction of the rotating mass.

I have used the original B&B style Street Twin behind a 600hp 468 for 12 years with great results. Part # 64001B-3C-07. They show a 1200hp rating on that kit. The entire assembly weighs a total of 49 lbs. with the steel flywheel being 22 of that. Their catalog still shows lighter aluminum wheel options too. The pedal effort is very similar to modern hydraulic linkage cars and drivable in stop and go traffic.

I sent it in to McLeod a few years ago for a rebuild service for a reasonable fee - thought this was a nice service/feature as well.

Phil

I´m very happy with the rst street-twin and fidanza alu-flywheel!, very light pedal effort, even with the org mec clutch linkage system.
Great grip and no slipping at the race-track,running it behind a 427cui sb 580 crank-hp.