thread sealer question >:(

c4lover

I have disassembled the top part of motor to port intake on my 84 c4 crossfire, distributor/tb's/radiator hose etc...
Ended up just matching the intake to heads then started putting everything back together. Got the timing down, backfiring and all the pops as usual when timing...and then antifreeze started flowing out in the thermostat area and got into the oil that is now milky. Drained the oil....took it all apart again and now wondering what went wrong? Gaskets were new but does anyone recommend putting gasket sealer AND a gasket on? I heard that wasnt a good idea...But ya never know on some vehicles And i wasnt aware of thread sealant on each intake bolt as I have read about after the incident, of course. Anyone have experience with this, or have had same issues?
Soo tired of not being able to cruise with my recent vette purchase :( :sos:

..and then antifreeze started flowing out in the thermostat area and got into the oil that is now milky.

What do you mean by this? Why would the coolant flow out the thermostat area into the oil?

No gasket sealer (or RTV) on the head gaskets! These go on dry.....

Intake gaskets also go on dry - except for RTV on the front and rear on the old style intakes.....

Last edited:
First lay a bead around head coolant ports continuing over china walls to other side. Lay down intake gasket and put a bead over the china wall corner around the coolant port and set down the manifold straight. Put thread sealer on the bolts both inside and outside plenum.

I know that the front and rear seals are where rtv comes in but the Bead around coolant entrances, what would you refer to use for that? Thisll be my 3rd attempt sadly to get motor running without coolant sneaking its way into my oil :suicide:

Sounds like the heads were milled, most likely on an angle and that will typically open up the bottom of the water/air passages, it's insidious as hell to find....so unless I know the provenance of the work done in the past, I just seal the induction and water passages with RTV and use a thick gasket, not like you need the thickest bead in the world on those gasket surfaces, but make it thicker than paper, anyway, both sides....and let it cure overnight at least before you add water or fire engine.....

I use Permatex RTV black....

:thumbs::smash::surrender:

I always read not to put rtv on gaskets because they expand In heat and creates openings in spots not spoiled in rtv Causing leaks? Argghh 3 diff answers Haha