Porting Aluminum Heads?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Anyone know what tools are used to port aluminum heads? I tried this a while back with a die grinder and carbide burrs and the cutters just loaded up.

Carbide burrs are the tools to use, however you have to lube them so they don't load up. I use ATF for that and sometimws kerosene (but that stinks like crazy)

The sanding rolls just take too long.

Guys..... the problem isn't which tool to use........ but where to use it!!!!!

So often is very easy to make a worst flowing port!
The first thing to do is "pocket porting" reaching a diameter of nearly 75-80% of the valve OD.
Second move is to smoothen the valveguide boss area......

Never, say never remove material from the lower tight radius in the port...... the net result will be a higher port volume (lower air speed...) with allmost no flow improovment!

Following thi directions (from David Wizard) i did the job in my old heads:

condotti.JPG

poket.JPG

the tools (Standard Abrasive)

kit.JPG

some parts......
mot-smont-2.JPG

Anyone know what tools are used to port aluminum heads? I tried this a while back with a die grinder and carbide burrs and the cutters just loaded up.

They make carbide burrs especially for aluminum. They have only ~8 cutting edges with larger flutes so they don't load up quickly, and like the others have said use oil too.

Finally found a picture of what is described as a burr for non-ferrous materials and it is exactly as you describe (w/ fewer flutes).

http://www.carbidebur.com/automotive.html

Yep, that's them.
I've been porting heads since 78. I've done dozens of cast iron heads and a few Alum. I prefere porting Cast Iron. But, things change. Alum is the future.:suspicious: