Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Engine

Old 05-24-2020, 08:57 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (3)
Default Rubber fuel line temperature "rating"?

Am kicking around swapping out the heater hose section from the water pump to the expansion tank, and replacing that piece with some 3/8" rubber fuel line. (This reduces the amount and weight of minimally productive coolant just sitting in that connection.) I was going to use high pressure (fuel injection rated) hose, but I rarely see what the temperature rating of fuel line is. Obviously the fuel line has to withstand high external/ambient air temperatures, but this application won't have "cool" internal liquid to make life a touch easier on itself.

Any helpful information is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (684)

Size? AN-12? Bigger? PTFE hose in a stainless braid might reduce weight, and its good to over 400F as I recall. Check AN FITTINGS DIRECT, maybe they can hook you up. They also have carbon, silicone, aluminum, flexible, etc.

Cheers - Jim
Old 05-26-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Size? AN-12? Bigger? PTFE hose in a stainless braid might reduce weight, and its good to over 400F as I recall. Check AN FITTINGS DIRECT, maybe they can hook you up. They also have carbon, silicone, aluminum, flexible, etc.

Cheers - Jim
No. Just regular 3/8" rubber fuel line hose for injected engines, good for 50-70 psi IIRC. The weight reduction is going to be small, so the cost of the hose and fittings have to be small as well.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (327)

For temperature resistance, silicone hose rating would be 300F+ at low pressures. I'm not really sure what fuel hose is made of but most "rubber" materials are maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of silicone.

I think you would be safe with rubber fuel line since the pressure is so low (and in such a small diameter).
Old 05-26-2020, 04:57 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (130)

Donít some of the rubber lines have SAE numbers that you could reference In their database? Jxxx or something like that? I vaguely recall looking this up a while ago searching for submersible rubber line.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette427sbc View Post
Donít some of the rubber lines have SAE numbers that you could reference In their database? Jxxx or something like that? I vaguely recall looking this up a while ago searching for submersible rubber line.
We're on the same wavelength.

I spent a chunk of today under the car getting the front suspension back together, and I noticed the SAE Jxxxx printing on some (fuel injection rated) hose for my p/s return line. The J number was scuffed, so I couldn't read it (and the rest was under some plastic"armor"). I'm looking around for some remnants from the original hose length to try to get that J number.

My heater core is disconnected (sprung a leak, and I need to pull out that non-productive weight), so there's no flow rate requirements for the hose between the w/p and the expansion tank.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette427sbc View Post
Did some looking around for the SAE J30xx hose specs. The later R7 revision hose is rated at 50psi and 257* F (125*C), and the latest R9 is a bit higher temp rated (275*F), along with a couple other improvements. The nearby FLAPS had the R7 hose in stock, so I got a chunk of that.