Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Electrical & Ignition

Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 AM
United States | Heart Attack

My Photos: (225)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Is it hooked up single or two stage?
I recommend anyone with A/C to hook up 1 fan to cycle with the A/C compressor.
They both come on at the same time. All my a/c stuff is laying on a shelf,maybe someday i will put it back but i doubt it,when and if i put the original motor back in i will install the a/c again,but that will only happen when i get tired of my hot rod motor

Speed kill's. So ignore the speed/o :

Those satisfactions are permanent

Everything is going too fast and not fast enough
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
They both come on at the same time. All my a/c stuff is laying on a shelf,maybe someday i will put it back but i doubt it,when and if i put the original motor back in i will install the a/c again,but that will only happen when i get tired of my hot rod motor
YES, I feel that one glance at the Dual Spals that Tom DeWitt sells will tell the tale that running one at a time is not adviseable....as they both need suck at some speed to prevent backflow throug the other 'still' fan....

now to do a proper PWM design we can hook where it belongs...

guess I"m elected....but ask me if I give a damn.....

Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
YES, I feel that one glance at the Dual Spals that Tom DeWitt sells will tell the tale that running one at a time is not adviseable....as they both need suck at some speed to prevent backflow throug the other 'still' fan....

Gene, do you give a DAMM
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Gene, do you give a DAMM
Jeebus, actually I wonder if there is any interest....really....

I gotta look at the options....even IF I have any design books for chips, from some 25 years ago, as IF any are made today.....fat chance....
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 PM
The Hillbilly

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post

Gene,
I am not sure how the older fans are set up, but the ones like Kevin and I bought have a divider between the two fans. I donít think there would be any ill effects from running one at a time. The fans would still be forced to pull through the radiator.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theiskell View Post
Gene,
I am not sure how the older fans are set up, but the ones like Kevin and I bought have a divider between the two fans. I donít think there would be any ill effects from running one at a time. The fans would still be forced to pull through the radiator.
Well, yes and no....depends on how they are mounted....

I suspect from what pix I have seen that Tom Dewitt has them pretty well slammed up against the radiator...so to cover most of the core....all fine, but I had a insurance issue years ago with a busted rad on account of I had a fan tied onto the rad for support, and sure enough it busted hell outta that rad when the lady hit me....oh well....

BUT I learned to not count on any support from the rad it floats alone in my fan install.....so to put the fan in there with cross support from the rear tabs of the U clips holding the rad in place....to I went across and supported the fans that way, and put in roof flashing aluminum and a cheeep left over front door rubber sweep from a house project...across the top....so it seals 100% to the rad core without being actually attached to it....the fans pull 100% of the airflow throug the rad, through the WHOLE CORE as a unit...not just one area....SO BUT...being mounted some 2-3" behind the core itself, both fans need come on to eliminate back draft.....

It works great, but I do wonder about a 2 speed controller, maybe some day....Lord knows when they turn on now, I gotta check the weather, the howl is remnicient of a hurry caine....

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 PM

I don't think there will be a problem having just one fan running it's not going to pull air through the fan not running its sealed up pretty tight,and with the instructions that came with this setup it tells you how to wire to override and turn on one fan,no big deal,i might do it myself but i will wait till it gets good and hot first to see if i even need to do that right now it cools without any problems
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
The Hillbilly

My Photos: (0)

I am with you on mounting the fan back a bit. I did the same thing with the weather stripping, but I also put a piece between the two fans to seal the individual fans off incase one of them dies, I still have one fan working. I donít think it really matters how you run them as long as you donít do something stupid like try to make them pushers or something.