Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Electrical & Ignition

Old 04-19-2008, 04:35 AM
The Hillbilly

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Bird, you have restored my faith in mankind. I have spent so much (wasted)time on "another forum" trying to explain how automotive ignition systems work. I break it all down, and they keep coming back with nonsense. On more than one occasion I have just given up trying to explain it all. You are among about three people I have ever met who understands the way the system works. Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
MAKE that TWO of us trying to esplain the same thing....but I got tired of it also....too lazy to do a search or a google or something for the obvious, well me tired too.....got a post here in ridecule of the 'knowledge' base over there even yet, even....

Gene,
Thanks for the second reply! On the other ones first let me say this. I work in a nuclear pharmacy maintaining a particle accelerator where we make radioactive isotopes. I get asked what I think are stupid questions ALL the time. Do you glow is one of my favorites and they are serious. When a new employee comes in they are always overwhelmed with the job. To me itís easy because I do it everyday. I donít have an electronics degree but I wish I did. When I ask questions itís to learn, Iím not sending my car to a mechanic when I can LEARN how to do a job.
On the electrical side of this for most people that are not in the know. When someone says check how many amps it is pulling they may have no idea what an amp is. The same as if I was trying to tell someone how to adjust the beam strike on the target of a cyclotron. (well you just move the collimator up or down a mm or two) That is easy for me. Did you or anyone else understand thatÖNOPE! You would need more information like where is a collimator. To me that would be a stupid question. What I am trying to say is give us electron challenged people some slack.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Netherlands | Der Maulwurf

My Photos: (1296)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Here's one for you Gene. A healthy point type ignition has a blue spark. What does an orange spark denote?

weak spark voltage? What do I win?

I thought the capacitor/condensor was there for 2 reasons, one: to reduce corrosion of contact points and two: to give the contacts a cleaner "break" (absorb current spikes)

Coils with a R of 1,5 Ohms? Some are as low as 0.5 and others are up to what 2 Ohms?? maybe higher? I think your 1,5 only roughly applies to points.. and who but bird uses points these days

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
United States | Charter Member
Founder Bird-Run
Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Cruise-In Bird-Run 2 Veteran

My Photos: (342)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theiskell View Post
Gene,
Thanks for the second reply! On the other ones first let me say this. I work in a nuclear pharmacy maintaining a particle accelerator where we make radioactive isotopes. I get asked what I think are stupid questions ALL the time. Do you glow is one of my favorites and they are serious. When a new employee comes in they are always overwhelmed with the job. To me itís easy because I do it everyday. I donít have an electronics degree but I wish I did. When I ask questions itís to learn, Iím not sending my car to a mechanic when I can LEARN how to do a job.
On the electrical side of this for most people that are not in the know. When someone says check how many amps it is pulling they may have no idea what an amp is. The same as if I was trying to tell someone how to adjust the beam strike on the target of a cyclotron. (well you just move the collimator up or down a mm or two) That is easy for me. Did you or anyone else understand thatÖNOPE! You would need more information like where is a collimator. To me that would be a stupid question. What I am trying to say is give us electron challenged people some slack.
Believe me when I say these guys were not addressing you. It is the guys that argue that we are wrong.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Founder Bird-Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo View Post
weak spark voltage? What do I win?Not the answer I am seeking

I thought the capacitor/condensor was there for 2 reasons, one: to reduce corrosion of contact points and two: to give the contacts a cleaner "break" (absorb current spikes)One in the same

Coils with a R of 1,5 Ohms? Some are as low as 0.5 and others are up to what 2 Ohms?? maybe higher? I think your 1,5 only roughly applies to points.. and who but bird uses points these days
Yes. I am talking points.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
United States | Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo View Post

I thought the capacitor/condensor was there for 2 reasons, one: to reduce corrosion of contact points and two: to give the contacts a cleaner "break" (absorb current spikes)
The condensor does do 2 jobs: Protecting the points contact from burning and it maked the mag field of the coil collapse faster producing maximum spark for that coil.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Founder Bird-Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER View Post
The condensor does do 2 jobs: Protecting the points contact from burning and it maked the mag field of the coil collapse faster producing maximum spark for that coil.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 PM
The Hillbilly

Quote:
Believe me when I say these guys were not addressing you. It is the guys that argue that we are wrong.
Ahhhhh. no argument from me
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER View Post

I wuz going to scratch my ass to remember the ans swear, but I kept reeding and found it.....

Quit making me scratch my ass, i'ts sore enough allready....

Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Yeh, not directed at anyone here, but sometimes I get tired of guys too lazy to go look up a elementary electrical book in the library even....

or Radio Shack, or maybe even the NET, for free, but all it seems is to be a short explanation with more questions unanswered, or some one selling information.....

After being in electronics for so many decades, and remembering vacuum tubes, much less morse code from ham radio daze, it's all a natural....so it feels like I can visualize an electron stream, and magnetic fields, and
the measured affects on instrumentation....used to be a design ET, working for engineers who knew much more than I did....PHD in EE, and PHD in Nuclear/Physics.....PHD in Chemistry, MS in Mech E.....

I just set down and listened unless quipping a joke.....
Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Founder Bird-Run

Quote:
Here's one for you Gene. A healthy point type ignition has a blue spark. What does an orange spark denote?
Come on Gene, Turbo84 got it.