Starter repair

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Anybody know a good trick to remove the 4 large phillips screws holding the field coils in? I have tried soaking and heat to no avail.

Anybody know a good trick to remove the 4 large phillips screws holding the field coils in? I have tried soaking and heat to no avail.

Bird, I have watched a good friend of mine who rebuilds starters for a living smack the heads of the screws good and hard with a hammer 4 or 5 times and then back them out with a impact phillips head screwdriver. If that doesn't work, guess you have to drill the head??????

Bullshark

Last edited:
I have dissassembled T starters 75 years old. But these are tough. I'll try the impact. Thanks guys.

One of these impacts works best for stubborn without ruining the phillips heads. Use a #4 instead of a socket.:)

Impact2.jpg

Will you quit saying that. I have never been to anything NCRS and never will. I just think that if something worked fine for almost 40 years and can be fixed why not? Thanks Jeff.

Hey, thanks for the "juice"! I'll put it to good use.
smiley-boozin.gif

Last edited:
One of these impacts works best for stubborn without ruining the phillips heads. Use a #4 instead of a socket.:)

Impact2.jpg

That's what I meant with impact screwdriver, I have used those also for the 3 larger screws holding the steering column housing together and the screws securing the door latches

I've seen the starter housing in an arbor press applying pressure to the screws and then a wrench on the screwdriver bit to break them loose.