Looking for hood louvers/vents

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Been working on the hood on the '84, and am kicking around putting some louvers in it to help exhaust the underhood air. I used to frequently see a louver set on Corvettes that have about 5 or 6 slats in them, positioned over the wheelwells, but I can't find them anywhere. Anybody seen a source for them lately?

thanks,
Mike

Been working on the hood on the '84, and am kicking around putting some louvers in it to help exhaust the underhood air. I used to frequently see a louver set on Corvettes that have about 5 or 6 slats in them, positioned over the wheelwells, but I can't find them anywhere. Anybody seen a source for them lately?

thanks,
Mike
Like Damoroso's? (I love 'em)
DSC03911.jpg

note: taken from http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8256

Ecklers has 'em - but buried in their catalog. (part # 10363 Louvers,Daytona Fender,68-82) Maybe ACI (as well).
Happy New Year! Jim

Dave's are just show louvers, he is drilling drain holes in them even....

:amazed::rain:

Those are the louvers I was looking for. Thank you.

I need to get a close look at them somehow to make sure they can be open and functional.

Edit: Just checked Eckler's website. "Low Price Guarantee" or not, there's no effing way I'm going to pay them $180 for a pair of those things. Apparently I'll be looking for alternative ways to vent out the engine compartment.

I haven't bought anything from Ecklers in a loooong time, and it looks like I'm going to continue to not buy anything from them.

Last edited:
I opened mine - the originals (HAH) I got from ACI I installed in 84-5. They even had an inner fender guard you could mount to keep the crap from flying through them - just the air. <

thum_12694aac07754a91d.jpg

12694aac07754a91d.jpg

When I swapped that front clip for the Tilt-one-piece - I splashed a mold of the louvers - and kept the "liner."

The "liner" will dig it out of the attic and take a pic - give me a few days -- holiday over -- back to work!
Happy New Year! Jim

ADDED:
Here are the prices from ACI:
PLK100 LOUVER TOP FENDER PR 68-82 $317.77

PLK200 LOUVER BAFFLES TOP FNDR 68-82 $198.25
- Still digging for them to get a pic!

Last edited:
This would do it - even with a fine mesh screen to "de-crapify" the engine bay - it would be better that what we have now...
thum_126950e4c3349a383.jpg

Somewhere I have a shot of stream data showing smoke trails through the fender (overhead) louvers - interesting that the airflow "wraps forward as the tire rotates and then exits. It makes sense - but not what you'd first think.

Cheers - Jim

http://www.up22.com/scoopw3.htm

this company has two sizes of NACA ducts, that I anticipate utilizing...

PR-71
Smaller version of PR7 NACA duct. 3/4 inch deep. Designed to be molded into a body panel and to set below the body panel surface so as not cause additional air drag, yet provide a passage for air intake for cooling or carburetion. 3/4" flange on 3 sides.

I couldn't get the link to work, but it will be listed in the index.

Like those ducts - ready to install. More durable than the plastic seen on eBay.

Back to the louvers. I mentioned previously, the reverse flow of air, around the wheel then backout the louver.
I found the pics I was describing.
The B&W is from Katz - Race Car Aerodynamics, and the color from McBeath's, Competetion Car Aerodynamics. Both excellent texts.

126950e6df6b526af.jpg

126950e6df6b86e79.jpg
Cheers - Jim

Attachments

• Reverse flow through fender louvers diagram (Katz).jpg
    Reverse flow through fender louvers diagram (Katz).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Reverse flow through fender louvers with smoke.jpg
    Reverse flow through fender louvers with smoke.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

thanks,
Mike

Those almost look like 77-79 Z-28 louvers, but if they are over the wheels how will that exhaust underhood air since the wheel housings seal that area and over the wheels is a splash shield and without it debris from the tires would quickly damage the bottom of the hood and eventually eat through the fiberglass like sand blasting.

KGrHqVHJBsE8hUC-W8jBPPD-JHPSQ60_12_zps8528a743.jpg

Last edited:

thanks,
Mike

Those almost look like 77-79 Z-28 louvers, but if they are over the wheels how will that exhaust underhood air since the wheel housings seal that area and over the wheels is a splash shield and without it debris from the tires would quickly damage the bottom of the hood and eventually eat through the fiberglass like sand blasting.

KGrHqVHJBsE8hUC-W8jBPPD-JHPSQ60_12_zps8528a743.jpg

The nice thing about fiberglass and plastic panels is that you can easily cut and rework them to any shape you want.