Paint chip repair questions

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
Hey guys,

I don't think of my car as having a paint job, but rather a background for the numerous cracks and paint chips. The PO put what looks like a Maaco paint job on it. Doesn't look half bad but I think the prep was very poor. The paint chips easily and every time that I mask a section off, like to paint under the hood, most of the paint comes off with the tape. I recently had some jackass kids steal my gas lid emblem and they ripped off a big chunk of paint when the emblem turned. Since the paint is a semi custom color (close, but not the same as Marlborough Maroon) I went to a local paint supply and bought a pint of single stage color, along with the extender and catalyst. As it turned out, the spray gun that I've had for years developed a crack in the casting (spectacular mess) so I applied the paint to the underside of my gas lid with disposable brushes. While a fair distance from a professional finish, it was good enough to verify that the color match was good.

Now for the questions. Is there a good way to apply this paint to small sections and paint chips? Would an air brush do the job? I bought a container that looks like those nail polish applicators but don't know if you can use these once you've added the catalyst.

The right thing to do would be to repaint, but that's not going to happen any time soon. I just want to cover some of the many chips in a reasonable way.

When I bought my 82 vette it had a real nice red paint job on it. About 2 months later it really started going to hell and every imperfection was starting to show. Then the paint started cracking on the bumper covers and a pressure car wash would easily remove the paint that was cracking. about 6-8 months down the road the paint started blistering in places and where it did the paint just peeled off the original white paint and when it did you could tell the white paint had never even been sanded or primed. Bondo was used in place of fiberglass repairs as well as to level off front bumper warpage.

Car was then heat stripped down to bare glass and will be re-done.

Now for the questions. Is there a good way to apply this paint to small sections and paint chips?

I assume the "small sections" are small.... like 1/8" diameter ??? if not bigger then get the chipped section or the "hole" as clean as you can (Q-tip and mineral spirits) then use a toothpick to apply the paint and "fill the hole"... give it time to cure, like a day in the sun and then polish...

I think that most of the chips are a little larger than 1/8 inch. Probably around a quarter inch diameter. Still an interesting idea. I wonder if I could use a Q-tip in the same manner? The finish might not be stellar, but probably better than a white sore.

Q-tip will work to apply the paint but if you have a compressor then consider buying one of those "mini HVLP" Harbor Freight or Ebay guns.... $30 or less....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MINI-HVLP-SPRAY-.../310245588081?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools#shId

You might need some "spot putty" to fill the chip if it's that big.... the Bondo brand at AutoZone is ok, I used it with good results... it's the one that comes in a tube with hardener. They sell one without hardener and that stuff is not as good....at least my opinion...

As you said, if the surface underneath wasn't prepped right it will all come off eventually... Q-tip and "fill the hole with paint" is probably the way to go....

It's a long weekend here so I'll be doing some experimenting. I'll post the pics and results. :mobeer:

It's a long weekend here so I'll be doing some experimenting. I'll post the pics and results. :mobeer:
Well, did you get around to it? How'd they come up? Pics...?
:skeptic:​

No pics yet. Home computer took a dive and my camera software is on it.

Certainly looks better than stone chips.

:goodnight: "Lectrickery surge??......

in the last 11 years here I have lost about 4 grand worth of 'lectronics' to 'lectrickery'......

:bomb::bomb::crutches::chinese:

in the last 11 years here I have lost about 4 grand worth of 'lectronics' to 'lectrickery'......

We don't get surges in Cuhleefohnia. Just brown outs.

It sounds to me like people are just not sanding these things properly or not shooting within the recoat windows. I asked the previous owner of my boat if he sanded it before he painted it (the old paint was flaking off in huge sheets) and he looked at me confused.

Well, did you get around to it? How'd they come up? Pics...?
:skeptic:​

No pics yet. Home computer took a dive and my camera software is on it.

Certainly looks better than stone chips.

Buy an uninterruptible power supply. It was only about $100 to get one for my computer. Smooths out surges and provides power for several hours during black outs.

I bought it when I lost my last computer due to a surge.