My 56 Chevy PU project

BangkokDean

Well I finally have my 56 Chevy pickup here in Bkk. Bought it last year in California and had to rebuild the motor before shipping it to Singapore. Flew down and drove it back to Bkk. I had bought a L98 with a 700R4 trans also last year from AZ and it is sitting here ready to install in the Pickup. The motor/trans that I pulled is now sold and I am changing it to right hand drive. So the butchered dash that is in the truck will be cut out and chrome tilt Column plus a new 1959 Impala wheel will be going in. Lots of work to do but the body is Ca solid truck with a 83 Chevy truck frame. I have a 3 inch dropped spindles ready to install to get it down a little. The plan is to install LPG fuel nuzzles with a separate computer for LPG injected set up and keeping the petrol set up also.
Hoping to finish it by November.

Attachments

• 2810_p12_l.jpg
    2810_p12_l.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 56 chev 2 006.jpg
    56 chev 2 006.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Chev pu h 002.jpg
    Chev pu h 002.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 2011-01-12 09.39.09.jpg
    2011-01-12 09.39.09.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That's a sweet truck, and a big window to boot..... I love the gauge cluster

Well after getting into the Swiss cheese firewall repair I have decided to convert the truck to right hand drive. After removing the wood plank on the dash It was all missing so started fabricating a new dash. This is taking some time but it will be wort it when finished. BTW I am putting a glove box back in.

Just installed a two speed wipe motor and a Ididit chrome tilt steering column with a 1959 Impala steering wheel.

More to come:waxer:
IMG_5229.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

wow

that is a lot of work but it's very nice truck and it'll be well worth the effort. Why right hand drive? Is that standard in Thailand or was the truck right hand drive originally? From Australia ??

wow

that is a lot of work but it's very nice truck and it'll be well worth the effort. Why right hand drive? Is that standard in Thailand or was the truck right hand drive originally? From Australia ??

The truck came from California and over here they drive on the wrong side of the road.:hissyfit:

A little more on the dash and fire wall. Made a panel for the base of the steering column it will be chrome plated and on one side the controls for the A/C and the other side for a A/C vent. The fire wall will be mostly smooth so a plate is to be riveted in place and the rivets are recessed so the can be fill over in glass.

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
thats a sweet looking ride, just out of curiosity what does gas cost in bangkok?

$1.43 a liter for 95 gasohol. This truck will have injected LPG when I am finished.

Do you have some info on the LPG conversion?

I have not bought it as yet, but I have seen it working in a 350 Suburban. When I get into the motor phase I will be posting pictures with details. First I need to get the steering box in and the break booster mounted. :lol:

Working on getting the motor mounted and moving the trans mount before finishing the engine compartment.

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5293.jpg

Last edited:
Working on getting the motor mounted and moving the trans mount before finishing the engine compartment.

Dean, my son Tom in Oakland is maybe starting a project very similar to yours, but keeping the steering normal, on a '57 Chebby pickup, wanting to update the drive train, etc.....

I sent him the link to this thread, and so if he wants he can join up and get some info from you on what you are facing....nearly the same trucks I suspect....

GENE

Dean, my son Tom in Oakland is maybe starting a project very similar to yours, but keeping the steering normal, on a '57 Chebby pickup, wanting to update the drive train, etc.....

I sent him the link to this thread, and so if he wants he can join up and get some info from you on what you are facing....nearly the same trucks I suspect....

GENE
No problem Gene if I can help that is.

GENE

He was asking me about some concepts and info about bellhousings and shit like that and differentials his project has a blown up 6 in it, stick shift, and of course I bet on manual steering, it's in his s/o's family, so he dunno enough yet about this stuff to know if he wants to get involved...but it is a California truck, so should be rust free, I would hope, anyway....

I told him the LS and 4L80e from a later truck would be the best bet....at any rate he needs overdrive, power steering, and Hydroboost brakes so his s/o can have a prayer of driving it....suspect a/c is not needed in No. California....

:smash:

GENE

He was asking me about some concepts and info about bellhousings and shit like that and differentials his project has a blown up 6 in it, stick shift, and of course I bet on manual steering, it's in his s/o's family, so he dunno enough yet about this stuff to know if he wants to get involved...but it is a California truck, so should be rust free, I would hope, anyway....

I told him the LS and 4L80e from a later truck would be the best bet....at any rate he needs overdrive, power steering, and Hydroboost brakes so his s/o can have a prayer of driving it....suspect a/c is not needed in No. California....

:smash:
Hi Gene

If he has reservation,s before he starts it may be better to not do the project. As you know these projects take loads of time, money and determination.
It is so easy to lose interest when life gets in the way.

Cheers
Dean

This week the steering box and idler arm are in plus the rear trans mount.

Now I need to cut the steering column shaft and install two swivel joints to connect the shaft to the box. The break pedal and buster are nearly ready to install.

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

IMG_5309.jpg

IMG_5311.jpg

you need one of those old hot rod chain setups that goes from the steering column mounted gear on the firewall and drops it down to another gear lower on the firewall and then the steerig shaft comes straight out below the frame to a R&P unit.....or just drill a hole in the frame and box it.