Engine Ering......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Claims are easy to make and I have many questions about this new engine. I thought the EPA put an end to two stroke engines because of their high carbon emissions. This is why you don't see smoky two stroke motorcycles on the street anymore. Anyone can make a MPG claim with providing proof, and they do it. The engine looks like a Rube Goldberg to me, but it is thought provoking. (scroll down)

The above is Red's comment in a email to me.....

the subject is below....

two strokes at a Time

Two opposed cylinders with two opposed pistons in each cylinder! This is no wimp engine. It has two cylinders with four pistons delivering 300+ HP. It's extremely small and very efficient and is presently in use in test applications. The configuration below is equivalent to an extremely ballsy four cylinder engine. When doubled, it's an extremely ballsy 600+ HP engine.

It's called OPOC (Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder), and it's a turbocharged two-stroke, two-cylinder engine with four pistons — two in each cylinder — that will run on gasoline, diesel or ethanol. The two pistons inside a single cylinder pump toward and away from each other, thus allowing a cycle to be completed twice as quickly as a conventional engine while balancing its own loads. The heavy lifting for this unconventional concept was performed by Prof. Peter Hofbauer. During his 20 years at VW, Hofbauer headed up, among other things, development of VW's first diesel engine and the VR6. The OPOC has been in development for several years, and the company claims it's 30 percent lighter, one quarter the size of a regular engine and achieves 50 percent better fuel economy than a conventional turbo diesel engine.

VW is predicting 100 mpg in a conventional car! For a demo to to:

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder

:drink: I think it's a winner.....600 hp out of 4 cylinders??

can anyone count the rpm without a super computer???

:crap::gurney:

The oil lobby will kill it, same as they killed the electric car.
But then again I believe everything I read on the internet, including everything on this forum....:banghead:

BTW, do they make headers for it and cams and roller rockers?
Bet you we can get 650 out of it. Or 700....