Model T, short 5 min clip.....

Here's a challenge for you guys- Bird- you can't play-

What part are they assembling at about 54 seconds into the video?

looks like some round plate with a bunch of springs around the perimeter.

a clutch?

I think so too, a clutch...

Old Family story.....I was near age 10 and getting interested in shit, and so one day when in the car with the folks, must have been on the way to church or coming home.....I asked what dad's first car was, He being born in 1905, so he says a T Ford, I asked what was after that, as I remember a gray interior to the car we were in, which had to have been dad's last Packard.....I was wondering why he switched companies.....he said a Chevrolet......I asked why he switched from Ford to Chevy, he glanced at mom, and he winced, and she snickered in laughter.....

what it was was the crank snapped back on him and broke his wrist, or at least severely sprained it....

Cleveland Ohio, west side, around time my sis was born....

I would have to assume the unspoken, that he switched because Chebby had the Kettering invention of the decade....the electric starter motor......

Which goes into another comment, I find the entire topic of inventions and industrial history to be the ONLY true history worth studying , all the bullshit they teach in schools is a total time waste, to trace the development stages of all the great toys is much more interesting, and important to understand how shit WORKS in order to ensure a certain survival rate for the future.....but NO, they teach 'Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492,' untill the cows come home....sorry to get political....

Last edited:
Model T clutches are both bands in the tranny and some plates that look like they came out of a TH350.

looks like some round plate with a bunch of springs around the perimeter.

a clutch?

I think so too, a clutch...

Old Family story.....I was near age 10 and getting interested in shit, and so one day when in the car with the folks, must have been on the way to church or coming home.....I asked what dad's first car was, He being born in 1905, so he says a T Ford, I asked what was after that, as I remember a gray interior to the car we were in, which had to have been dad's last Packard.....I was wondering why he switched companies.....he said a Chevrolet......I asked why he switched from Ford to Chevy, he glanced at mom, and he winced, and she snickered in laughter.....

what it was was the crank snapped back on him and broke his wrist, or at least severely sprained it....

Cleveland Ohio, west side, around time my sis was born....

I would have to assume the unspoken, that he switched because Chebby had the Kettering invention of the decade....the electric starter motor......

Which goes into another comment, I find the entire topic of inventions and industrial history to be the ONLY true history worth studying , all the bullshit they teach in schools is a total time waste, to trace the development stages of all the great toys is much more interesting, and important to understand how shit WORKS in order to ensure a certain survival rate for the future.....but NO, they teach 'Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492,' untill the cows come home....sorry to get political....

Model T electric start was an option begenning in 1919.

Wasn't it some sort of magneto type deal, magnets and a coil in the bell, providing juice to spark the cyls? Basically a big magneto??? Gotta dig out that book, I think it was in there. But what they are building there is the flywheel with the magnets, I'm 99.99999% certain that's what it is.

Wasn't it some sort of magneto type deal, magnets and a coil in the bell, providing juice to spark the cyls? Basically a big magneto??? Gotta dig out that book, I think it was in there. But what they are building there is the flywheel with the magnets, I'm 99.99999% certain that's what it is.

DING DING DING Very good Marck. There was a "biscuit board" of 28 coils bolted to the back of the block, and 28 "horseshoe" permanent magnets on the flywheel. The magnets helped with the "splash" oil system, and also made the total flywheel weight about 36lbs.:sweat:

With modern fuel and parts, It's quite easy to double the original 20 HP to 40 HP or more.
My T has a ground cam, aluminum cam gear,Chevy 6 valves, adjustable lifters, a counterbalanced forged crank,balnced pistons and rods, lightened rods, aluminum pistons with narrow rings, Chevy scoops on the rods, Babbit "Xed" rod ends with relief holes to shoot at the wrist pins, higher compression head, Bosch Distributor plate and dizzy, Winfield carb and manifold, ball bearing output bearing, needle bearing u-joint, 3-1 two speed rear end, Rocky Mountain brakes with a home made equaliser, and 2 external extra oil lines. It also has Buffalo wire wheels. It will cruise 55 all day long.
(I need to get back on that project and finish)

Yep, Marck got it!! :yahoo:

MY Model T is all original in the engine department. None of these fancy hot-rod parts.. Only thing NOT of the original design is the wheels are painted yellow. And 40 MPH is scary on WOOD wheels with a brake that's submerged in oil and is 1-1/2 inches wide.

Yep, Marck got it!! :yahoo:

MY Model T is all original in the engine department. None of these fancy hot-rod parts.. Only thing NOT of the original design is the wheels are painted yellow. And 40 MPH is scary on WOOD wheels with a brake that's submerged in oil and is 1-1/2 inches wide.

Most guys say "WHAT?" when I tell them the tires are 30" x 3 1/2":rofl:

DING DING DING Very good Marck. There was a "biscuit board" of 28 coils bolted to the back of the block, and 28 "horseshoe" permanent magnets on the flywheel. The magnets helped with the "splash" oil system, and also made the total flywheel weight about 36lbs.:sweat:

i thought the coils were springs.

Marck,

Give yourself a star.

I skipped past the last posts to put my guess in for TimAT's challenge---I will say they are assembling the transmission, a planetery gearbox.
Now i'll go back & see what others said...

Welp I blew it. I wasn't sure if those things on the overhead conveyor where the same as what they were assembling......But now I know something I never knew before!

Last edited:
now that i'm thinking about it more, i thought model Ts had coils. I had a few of the wooden boxed coils at one time.

My friend with the 35-36 Ford V8 rumble seat convertible had one of them coils in a oak? box.....I forget what he said about which car, but surely it was a Ford.....

:bonkers:

Model T's do have coils- 4 of them. Control is from a timer mounted on the front of the cam cover. Little tin hat with 4 contacts and a roller inside it. That tells what cylinder to fire and when. Just like a modern points setup and dizzy cap.
Those old T coils will knock your azz off too.

The magneto is what they used to generate the voltage for the spark before there was a battery onboard. After the battery was installed, the old generator made the power, but it couldn't keep up with the load. Switch to the mag and drive on.