any of you done front suspension work on a 4th gen camaro?

JeffP1167

I'm wondering how hard it is to replace the struts/rack and pinion/wheel bearings.

My struts basically have coil springs on them which is why I am asking.

this is a 1997 if changes were made during the years.

You need an external spring compressor to compress the springs to take them off the shocks (struts)

Weren't the hubs a 3 bolt bolt on deal like the corvettes?

I have no idea I kinda recall the rotors slip on and off but not sure if thats another car I had worked on LOL.

I just put new 245/50/16 tires on it and none of these other parts have ever been change and its at 117k miles.

93 - 02 F-Bodies use a sealed hub with 4 bolt flange similar to the C4's .The mounting bolts thread into the flange instead of through bolts and nuts as used on C4's
Some have used F-Body front hubs on late C4's as a cheaper alternative

Fhub.jpg

I have no idea .
Unbolt brake caliper and support ,remove rotor, unbolt hub and replace.
Support bottom arm , undo 3? bolts in shock tower,undo 2 bottom bolts holding strut to spindle ,lower and remove strut/spring assembly.
Use spring compressor to compress spring so it can be removed from old strut , refit to new strut , reinstall

At 113k miles has the car reached the bearing change interval? I know the shocks and struts are long past due though.

Another question I have is this. This car came with some performance package that included z-28 rack and pinion but unsure if springs were the same as the base model V-6. I just switch from the factory 235/55/16 tries to 245/50/16

will tire aspect numbers change the alignment specs? And did the performance models caryy different alignment specs?

93 - 02 F-Bodies use a sealed hub with 4 bolt flange similar to the C4's .The mounting bolts thread into the flange instead of through bolts and nuts as used on C4's
Some have used F-Body front hubs on late C4's as a cheaper alternative

Fhub.jpg

The 3 was a typo, I figured it'd be the same deal as the vettes.

At 113k miles has the car reached the bearing change interval? I know the shocks and struts are long past due though.

Another question I have is this. This car came with some performance package that included z-28 rack and pinion but unsure if springs were the same as the base model V-6. I just switch from the factory 235/55/16 tries to 245/50/16

will tire aspect numbers change the alignment specs? And did the performance models caryy different alignment specs?

I've got a similar car, 97 6cyl 5 speed with the performance package; had it since it was a year old. I have been running the 245/50/16 tires on it since the OEM Goodyear pos tires wore out years ago. I use the stock alignment specs and the tire wear patterns are fine. Got about 115K on it now and I'm starting to feel that it needs some suspension work. The struts seem OK, but the rear end has gotten kind of loose lately. The rear control arm bushings look pretty ugly.

I have the factory service manual set for this car. I'll check out the alignment specs tomorrow to see if we can get an answer to your question.

Had a Z28 and worked n the suspension a few times:

IMG_0075.jpg

The shock and spring can be removed as an assembly. You need the spring compressor (rent for free from AutoZone). There's a nut on top of the shock's stem, the stem has a small flat spot so you can hold it and keep it from spinning when turning the nut... I snapped the stem on two shocks and rounded the nuts. Be prepared to use a Dremel or angle grider to cut the nut off the stem - the spring compressor is holding the spring force when you do this... be careful...

IMG_0077.jpg

This is one of the lower control arm bushings at roughly 120K miles....

IMG_0067asmall.jpg

The lower ball joint is pressed in. Without a press I wouldn't attempt the job.... take the arms off and go to a shop and have them press the ball joints out and back in...

IMG_0064Small.jpg

Control arm with new bushings and ball joint:

IMG_0072Small.jpg

The Bilstein shocks are a HUGE improvement over the stock shocks, the Z28 springs are soft but if you like the ride quality don't change them. Lowering springs ride quiet a bit harsher, the BMR springs that I had lowered the car 1" and were not too harsh.
I highly recommend the BMR sway bars - like the Bilstein shocks a huge improvement.

The wheel bearings come as an assembly, $120 a piece at the "zone" - if they don't make noise and if there's no play when you grab the wheel and move it back/forth then leave them alone. I have two used bearing assemblies on the shelf if you need them let me know...

Your rack is most likely fine, the outer tie rods however wear and they're relatively cheap and easy to replace. You'll need an alignment afterwards....

Don't buy the cheap Chinese ball joints and tie rods - spend a little more and get MOOG stuff, Rockauto.com usually has great deals :D

OK, here's what the GM service manual says;

caster - 5.0 deg, +/- 0.5

camber - 0.4 deg, +/- 0.5

total toe - 0.0' +/- 0.2"

The manual lists only a single set of specs for all 97 F Bodies.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the pictures & alignment specs! Will definitely look into replacing my control arm bushings as well as the racks outter tie rods. I did notice my car was wearing the outsides of both front tires. I'm not sure about using polyurethane bushings though since I really dont aggressively drive this car, it's more of a nice sunny day driving car, so stock suspension stuff is probably best for my car.

I have a 90 vette I am fixing up that will be my aggressive driving car LOL.

Well I just returned from getting my Camaro and after a little over 2,300.00 in suspension work, the car is simply awesome to drive now. I was going to try this myself but just have to many other things going on right now to have dealt with it. The car is great now and drives like it did when it was brand new.

0126100818.jpg

$2300 ? Ouch..... that's a lot of money for suspension work. I assume you got new shocks, ball joints, tie rods, bushings and alignment ?? Very pricey but like you say it feels like a new car now :D

$2300 ? Ouch..... that's a lot of money for suspension work. I assume you got new shocks, ball joints, tie rods, bushings and alignment ?? Very pricey but like you say it feels like a new car now :D

that was for everything

Rack
shocks/struts
bushings F/R
front bearings
brake job
alignment