Calling Twin Turbo. Replacing an electronic boost actuator with a mechanical unit?

enkeivette

TT, and other turbo gurus, the electronic actuator on my Jeep (3.0L Mercedes Diesel) is failing. And the actuator is sold as a unit with the turbo.

Would it be feasible to replace it with a mechanical one? Without making the high tech mercedes engine go nuts. I dont think it gives feedback to the engine since its only thrown a low boost code, and nothing actuator specific.

On a side note, would there be any way to put a voltage across my actuator to make sure its not working?

The actuator is probably only controlled, not monitored. However are you sure you can't get a rebuilt one? Make sure it's not the MAP sensor giving the code because it's failty. Did you hook a scanner to it?

The actuator usually doesn't go bad overnight, the errorst are usually intermittent power loss and after cooling down it will be fine for a while, although with time it will become permanent as the unit fails completely.

Ya, pulled a low boost code off of it.

It has been an intermittent failure, once a year, once a month, now everyday. And youre right, it works when its cold, no turbo whistle and no actuation after about 20 mins of driving.

Its not the MAF, I cleaned it and disconnected it to make sure.

I actually just took the actuator off and apart and sprayed the electric motor with the MAF cleaner hoping to clean the brushes. I doubt thatll work but its worth a try.