trying to buy a c/d player for my 97 firebird and have a question

JeffP1167

I want a stock am/fm/cd with equalizer. I was on ebay and saw reference to "monsoon" but I have never heard of that, how do I tell if my firebird has that or not?

Far as I know my car just has two speakers in the door panels and to in the sail panels.

CD?? what is a CD anymore??? I was wanting to go MP3 or some such, but lost interest in music long ago.....methinks you need a amp and controller, and then plug in your computer music....

my vette has NO tunes....

:flash::beer::hunter:

I want a stock am/fm/cd with equalizer. I was on ebay and saw reference to "monsoon" but I have never heard of that, how do I tell if my firebird has that or not?

Far as I know my car just has two speakers in the door panels and to in the sail panels.

I believe Monsoon made high end sound systems for GM in the 90's. I recall they were laden with problems as the head unit ran on software.
You should see manufacturers name on their components.
If your current speakers have two connections, and the impedence matches the head unit, you should be good to go. :beer:

I had the Monsoon BS system in my '99 Z28...... it's very incompatible and a replacement door speaker is $100 each..... aftermarket speakers sound like crap with the Monsoon system so you're stuck with GM prices or gut it and replace the whole crap.....
The CD radio does not have a aux input, the olde tape model does , it allows using a MP3player as the "aux" device. I bought a tape (cassette) head unit on Eay for like $30 ..... actually, just a few weeks ago I found the CD radio head unit in my garage and threw it out, too bad you're just a few weeks late, I'd rather given it to you than the trash guys....

okay I am not interested in mp3 stuff etc etc. Just want a c/d factory player in my car. It currently has am/fm/cassette with like 7 band equalizer radio. Which is why I want the same but with c/d player.

But mainly I see them only listed as monsoon system. My 97 camaro has am/fm/cd factory radio however I have seen the same looking radios with monsoon label on there digital displays where as mine doesn't.

I know my 97 firebird radio says theftloc but how can I be certain it isn't a monsoon?

Here is radio in mine

get-attachmentaspx_zps8df83263.jpg

CD version

KGrHqVHJEwFFylgeEwBRetdnKCw60_57_zps1b1b0343.jpg

But this CD says monsoon

T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqVWBQ04J26nV60_57_zps36b7bb9c.jpg

the first one is not a Monsoon so you'll need to find a "non Monsoon" CD unit, not sure if those had the equilizer though.... the Monsoon CD unit that I had did not have the equilizer
I know you said you want the factory radio but since you're not stuck with the Monsoon stuff you can just get a nice headunit (think they call this size 'doubleDIN'), the ones without touchscreen are $100 or less..... just saying you have options.....

here's a ton of info on the Monsoon:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html

Last edited:
the first one is not a Monsoon so you'll need to find a "non Monsoon" CD unit, not sure if those had the equilizer though.... the Monsoon CD unit that I had did not have the equilizer
I know you said you want the factory radio but since you're not stuck with the Monsoon stuff you can just get a nice headunit (think they call this size 'doubleDIN'), the ones without touchscreen are $100 or less..... just saying you have options.....

here's a ton of info on the Monsoon:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html

Thanks for the link, monsoons either had 8 or 10 speakers and a amp near the spare tire. Neither of my cars have that. So going to try and find a factory one today.