Anyone "racing" a C3? How good would an 80 be on a track?

powerglide

A friend of mine has a shop at Willow Springs Racetrack and invited me out for a track day. He thinks my high miles 1980 will suprise me. (modified engine, 4 speed)

Frankly I think that 1980 Vette's, especially mine, the steering is a bit dodgy/loose, brakes not A+, safety iffy etc etc and never really considered my car as a good candidate for getting into some casual vintage type racing or just going around the track on track days.

Since it's going to cost some wheels/tires/brakes/some tidying up to get it track worthy...I'm not sure if it's worth going that route with this car.

Maybe a Mazda Miata :)crap:), old bimmer, porsche, or at least a C5 or something like that would make a better candidate.

Please tell me what you think...I just don't want to be in a position of throwing money at this a car that just doesn't have much potential to begin with. I know nothing about racing, and I concede that maybe I just don't know what my vette can do...

:goodevil:

Thanks for your thoughts!

i think you could take the 80 out at least once and at least do 5 or 10 minutes per session before the brakes go to the floor.

Flush your brake fluid before you go.

Remember you're going out to have fun, not prove anything.

If you want to do this long term, another car would be better. I don't know anyone who has done track days consistantly in a C3 for more than a couple of years before giving up.

I have been out there for about 10 years, but i limit my involvment to a couple of days per summer and just let the other cars blow by me. There's a lot of who's got the biggest attitude out there and you just can't get caught up in that game. There's always someone else who has more money to flush down the shitter than you have.

40483ad2e73465f.jpg

Last edited:
i think you could take the 80 out at least once and at least do 5 or 10 minutes per session before the brakes go to the floor.

Flush your brake fluid before you go.!!!!!

Remember you're going out to have fun, not prove anything.

If you want to do this long term, another car would be better. I don't know anyone who has done track days consistantly in a C3 for more than a couple of years before giving up. Excuse me???
I have been out there for about 10 years, but i limit my involvment to a couple of days per summer and just let the other cars blow by me. There's a lot of who's got the biggest attitude out there and you just can't get caught up in that game. There's always someone else who has more money to flush down the shitter than you have.

You are absolutely correct with your last comment.

. I don't know anyone who has done track days consistantly in a C3 for more than a couple of years before giving up. Excuse me???

help me out then. I'm drawing a blank.

You've been rebuilding yours for the last 10 years. And it's no longer a C3. I'm talking about anyone campaigning a C3 in recent history on the same track with all the new cars.

clutchdust = retired, looking for another car
72Ray = retired, bought a mustang
gkull = bought a race car
redvetracr = up on blocks

....complete the list

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm thinking of easing into it with the potential upside of just having fun and maybe tidying up some mechanic issues. in the name of safety.

Since my mechanic says the car is good except for a leaky diffy seal; if I replace that and flush the brakes and refill with high temp stuff, would I survive a days out there? (total novice)

I only have regular street tires too...

The track is 100 miles out and I don't want to drive it there and back (maybe I could if i spend a night or two out there)...trailering is a PITA.

If I had the money and storage, I always dreamt of track car or cross car. (you see I don't even know what kind of racing I want to do...I'm leaning to autocrossing, I wish there was a "try it out" day for autocross)

But, since I don't have the cash or space, and I'm not getting rid of the vette, my racing dreams are on hold.

Would the 80 be any better at autocrossing?

...:shocking: don't make me go hang with the 'men' on the miata forum ;-)

Take that Miata for example, that entire car cost you less than the necessary upgrades to the C3... it's not as cool as a C3 but you can buy one for $2000, put some wider rims and sticky tires on there and take it to the track ... it's cheap.... and if you crash or blow up the engine...well, it's just a Miata :thumbs:

Last edited:
Take that Miata for example, that entire car cost you less than the necessary upgrades to the C3... it's not as cool as a C3 but you can buy one for $2000, put some wider rims and sticky tires on there and take it to the track ... it's cheap.... and if you crash or blow up the engine...well, it's just a Miata :thumbs:

My thoughts exactly...which means my racing ambitions are back burnered again because of lack of a place to put the car. Maybe I will talk to my buddy with the shop in willow about letting me park it there with his fleet or something.

Autocrossing seems much safer too...more WAF (wife acceptance factor)

Just take the C3 for one day at the track and see how you like it.... keep in mind it's supposed to be fun :1st:

The C3 sure is more of a challenge :thumbs:

Just take the C3 for one day at the track and see how you like it.... keep in mind it's supposed to be fun :1st:

The C3 sure is more of a challenge :thumbs:

OK, so whats the bare minimum I should do?
just a brake flush and refill plus the diffy leak fix?
Probably the best course of action to see if i like the scene at all.

I wonder if i can do the same and "try" an autocross event using my Vette??

. I don't know anyone who has done track days consistantly in a C3 for more than a couple of years before giving up. Excuse me???

help me out then. I'm drawing a blank. Put the bong down, first.

You've been rebuilding yours for the last 10 years. Correction, I've been modifying it for the last 30 years. I'm a design engineer. I find rebuilding stuff incredibly boring. And it's no longer a C3. The body, frame, and title says 1969 model year. I believe they built C3s that year. I'm talking about anyone campaigning a C3 in recent history on the same track with all the new cars. I've run Mid-Ohio, Gingerman, Putnam Park, and Gainesville with this car. Sebring is on my winter to-do list.
clutchdust = retired, looking for another car
72Ray = retired, bought a mustang
gkull = bought a race car
redvetracr = up on blocks

....complete the list

It's not my job to complete your list. Again, you don't know anyone who hasn't given up?

Mine will be going there eventually, it should be getting a manual transmission soon, thats really all It needs, everything else is pretty minor.

I don't see us racing it consistently for too long

We'll probably get a late model road course car, they are the cheapest way to go fast and race

Last edited:
Okay I'm convinced, I'll give a go and see if I like it. 9/11 Willow Springs Speedway!

So...does anyone have a picture or info on how to make/buy(?) tow hook for a 1980 Vette? (Required by track)

Okay I'm convinced, I'll give a go and see if I like it. 9/11 Willow Springs Speedway!

So...does anyone have a picture or info on how to make/buy(?) tow hook for a 1980 Vette? (Required by track)

I've been racing a Triumph at Willow and other tracks for over twenty years. Started just as you say, a casual now and then thing until addicted.

Who's your buddy, Danny?

A simple tow hook can be a nylon sling wrapped around the front crossmember and taped to the vacuum canister support at the front. If they ned to use it the tape will rip and the crossmember will take the load. There's plenty of industrial supply houses around LA that will have them in all lengths and ratings. You won't need much...

Good Luck and have FUN!!

Steve

Great Idea!

Thanks for the tip about the straps...I didn't think of that at all!
WooHoo!

My buddy's name is Mike, usually drives a blue Mustang (65?). Well, he's more an aquainatance I guess, we hang out at the gym and shoot the breeze.

Well...bad news: My buddy is flying in from Hong Kong on 9/10 with tickets to a concert in San Diego on 9/11....so I guess I am going to have to miss this track day at Willow...I am so bummed out! BUT I will eventually do it, maybe the Oct date.

Since I can't wait till October to scratch my itch...
The next best thing seems to be autocross day at fontana speedway in a few weeks. I'm going to try this one. The short run times and lowers speeds may be more fitting for me tired 1980. What do you guys think of Autocrossing? From what I read it may be a decent event to get involved with because they appear to have different classes so I may be judged against other older cars.

WooHoo!

My buddy's name is Mike, usually drives a blue Mustang (65?). Well, he's more an aquainatance I guess, we hang out at the gym and shoot the breeze.

Well...bad news: My buddy is flying in from Hong Kong on 9/10 with tickets to a concert in San Diego on 9/11....so I guess I am going to have to miss this track day at Willow...I am so bummed out! BUT I will eventually do it, maybe the Oct date.

The next best thing seems to be autocross day at fontana speedway in a few weeks. I'm going to try this one. The short run times and lowers speeds may be more fitting for me tired 1980. What do you guys think of Autocrossing? From what I read it may be a decent event to get involved with because they appear to have different classes so I may be judged against other older cars.

I think if I'm off work, I might join you. Never been myself either. Maybe we can get a whole group of C-3 rookies together and learn.

WooHoo!

I think if I'm off work, I might join you. Never been myself either. Maybe we can get a whole group of C-3 rookies together and learn.
:1st:

Hey thats a great idea. Maybe we can get a little contingent over there!

Well, this is the next event but it's too soon I think:
http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=250

Here's some of the other events coming up:
http://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx

Which one shall we shoot for?

Does anyone know of any other autocross events around LA?