Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 11-19-2020, 04:05 PM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)
Default C6 front suspension measurements needed

Here's my dilemma: I'm building a custom frame for a two seater sports car & want to use the front suspension (upper/lower control arms & steering knuckle) from a C6. I'm looking for specific measurements from the stock setup, namely the measurements of the mounting points on the cradle & frame relative to each other and if possible the relative position of the center of the wheel and the orientation of said mounting points relative to probably the ground to give me the proper geometry. Normally, I have a few different people I work with on things like this but Covid shot all of that down. I work with Covid positive patients (I'm a PT in skilled nursing) so I can't have my usual help around. If anyone has the numbers, or can assist me in getting them I'd greatly appreciate it. I saw in the downloads section here that there's numbers for C5 front suspension but not C6. Now I've read & have had people say that the front upper/lower control arms & mounting positions are the same in the C5 & C6 and can interchange plus the geometry between the two front suspensions are the same, although the steering racks are different and mount differently. If that's true, then I should be able to use that information then.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:50 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (338)

C5 and C6 LCA & UCA are the same front and rear. The track width and wheel base could be adjusted obviously for your design. The thing that you will have to guess at are Center of Gravity and Roll Center, F/R weight distribution etc.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:30 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (92)

Not sure if you would want them, but someone sells a prefab cradle for C6 suspension front and rear. If I remember correctly it was a bit bulky, so may not be of interest. I think I saw them on racingjunk.com. And, someone may have posted photos here.

Superbuickguy just did c5 front suspension, but you probably have seen that thread. If not, check it out.

Last edited by rtj; 11-19-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 11:57 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (685)

And I have a pair of the C7 uprights that have been "molested"-- BUT IN A GOOD WAY. The upper ball joints have been pressed-out and a sleeve inserted. This lets you choose an extended ball joint to work camber change. The lowers have been reamed for 6141 ball joints - a more common BJ from circle track racing.
If you are planning on using the "stock" GM upper and lower control arms - forget about these.

But--if you are thinking of designing your own, they could be very useful. They still take the GM/SKF bearing. The C7 uprights are much lighter than the earlier C5/6 uprights, GM learned a lot about strength to weight and changed their castings. This image is not of mine - but representative. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I'm going to full race mode and my suspension is now all rod ends.

I would let these go for less than what they cost from GM Parts Direct (they had the best price) and no charge for the machining. In fact I'd make a deal for Black Friday too! (need to get them off my shelf!)

Sounds like a real cool project. Look forward to seeing the plan/layout and pictures of the build too!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock; 11-21-2020 at 12:02 AM..