Refurb T-top (glass)

keywestjack

I purchased a set of glass t-tops for my 77. I have heard that weather strips are different than the OE tops. Has anyone rebuilt a set and done it for a 77 or older model. What weather strips did you use and what mods did you have to make to the locking mechanism compatable with an older car. Thanks, Jack

Last edited:
Shabby or not, I just wish I had left the top alone on my car some years ago, paint job too for that matter.....weatherstrip included, convertible to boot.....crap we buy today not worth it anymore.....

especially paints.....:hunter::club:

I've done them. The weatherstripping is not any different. I suggest you buy the rubber strip around the outer edge. You will certainly scratch/damage the black sticker below the weatherstrip when cleaning of the polyurethane with which the weatherstrip is glued. At that point to get it properly repaired you need to paint the glass with the black primer at which point you'll have issues with the outer rubber strip.

I purchased a set of glass t-tops for my 77. I have heard that weather strips are different than the OE tops. Has anyone rebuilt a set and done it for a 77 or older model. What weather strips did you use and what mods did you have to make to the locking mechanism compatable with an older car. Thanks, Jack

Are you talking about 78-82 solid glass tops with the single latch, or the glass insert tops that were made by an aftermarket supplier and sold by Chevy dealers for a while in the mid-70s? The latter (which I have) should use the same weatherstrip as the standard tops. Worked for me. If the former, just order the right weatherstrip for them.