Replacing rear wheel stud

4 SPEED

Since I am trying to finish my 74 I might as well replace the broken back wheel stud while I am at it.
Something tells me this is going to be a bear.
Hopefully you guys know an easy way to replace the stud?

Thanks in advance

It's actually pretty easy, after you take out the parking brake shoes you can simply knock the stu out, you have to rotate the spindle to a position where the stud clears the dust shield and the hub, then use some washers and a wheel nut to pull the new one in.

So I don't need to remove any bearings or mess with the trailing arm

Correct, just what TT said, course those shoes are a PIA to work on, and don't hold shit even if fully functional, IF you don't need inspections, maybe not bother putting them back?? :flash:

Properly set up the parking brake works fine, the rules here are probably a lot more stringent than over there, they actually measure the brake force and also difference L&R and I have never had a problem

studs don't like being pulled and twisted through the flange... this is doubly true if you use an impact to pull it into place; however, you can help mitigate the issue if you use a small amount of grease under the lug nut and washers

Ok thanks,

So what is involved in removing the parking brake shoes?

You'll just have to remove the caliper from the bracket and drill out the rivets holding on the rear rotor (if they're still there) and pop off the rotor. Then it's just a miniature version of a mechanical drum brake.

I replaced the broken stud without removing the spindle etc.
Can be done by bending the dust cover a bit.

Thanks for the input