'81 hyper tech chip?

ToddG

Who here has one? is it worth it and does it give seat of the pants power. Is there a dyno chart floating around with one?

c-ya
ToddG:mobeer:

I had one years ago but it went the way of the computer, which is to say it got retired.
I think about the only seat of the pants feeling you'll get from one is whatever you want to imagine. Fact is, there just isn't that much power in an L-81 to unleash. You would be far better off, if you haven't already, is to replace the giant boat anchor catalytic converter.
I'm not saying not to do it, just understand that there's only so much horsepower left in that anemic engine.

So, just what is the major deficiency in the 81 engine? The lowest HP Corvette ever.

Where do we start to fix it and still pass Smog?

A low restriction Cat sounds like a start from your observations...

Who here has one? is it worth it and does it give seat of the pants power. Is there a dyno chart floating around with one?

c-ya
ToddG:mobeer:

To make it smog legal, it only is effective at WOT.

So, just what is the major deficiency in the 81 engine? The lowest HP Corvette ever.

Where do we start to fix it and still pass Smog?

A low restriction Cat sounds like a start from your observations...

Not much. Add a Magnaflow exhaust with low flow cat, and set the timing to 12* in between smog tests. Set to 6* for smog.

A few years ago we used a PROM reader to compare the hypertech chip to the stock chip. The only difference between the two is that the hypertech advances the timing a hair and turns the cooling fan on earlier. Advancing the timing will improve horsepower and torque, but you need at least 15-20 horsepower in order to feel the improvement in the seat of your pants. Advancing the timing a few degrees will not give you 15-20 horsepower, which means you're not going to feel the difference.
Lars