Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (14)
Default LS Swap in 78 Vette

Swapping a LQ9 in my 78. Mating up with 2004R with 2800 stall convertor. Updating A/C to Vintage or Classic air. Installing front A Arm bushings and shocks along with Jeep Steering Box.
Old engine and transmission are removed and cleaning and painting engine bay.Going to be a fun winter.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Yup, got some work to do....but when it's done....

then it's time to....
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

I just stopped by the hanger where Donnie's working on it, the car looks like it's going to turn out nice. I also may be able to clean out some of the spare LS parts in my garage.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM
United States | Addict

Thanks for stopping and advising. Sure alot to digest but looking forward to the challenge.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (184)

Sorry I missed the fun Gary/Donnie. Hanger is going to be a busy place this year. I plan on replacing the old school 427 in the Blue Angel 69 when I get back from wintering in Florida. All Aluminum BB is in the planning stages up at Competition Marine. More to come as we exit the planning stages. My main requirement is to be compatible with the stock GM L-88 hood and its air chamber. Also Heads need to be a compatible height so the Hooker side pipes fit with no fender mods.
Gary, I was thinking Don would be better off keeping the new Holley Avenger ECM rather than jury rigging a GM LS ECM with EFI-Live. Lets talk pro's and cons of the two approaches.

Bullshark
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM
United States | Addict

Not too familiar with the holley. But the GM stuff is cheap, widely available, and suupports 400hp on the LQ9. On my LQ9, I was planning an L92 head and cam swap. But the stock motor with exhaust and mail order tune is nearly 400hp, 400ft/lbs and breaks my stock 7" wheel and tire combo lose easily. I think Don is going the same direction.
411 ecu $50, mail order tune $75, and a pick and pull harness is hard to beat for the cost.
Any chance that aluminum block is an LS7, or are you going old school there too, 502 or 540? Just enough to scare Chip in the passenger seat anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post
Sorry I missed the fun Gary/Donnie. Hanger is going to be a busy place this year. I plan on replacing the old school 427 in the Blue Angel 69 when I get back from wintering in Florida. All Aluminum BB is in the planning stages up at Competition Marine. More to come as we exit the planning stages. My main requirement is to be compatible with the stock GM L-88 hood and its air chamber. Also Heads need to be a compatible height so the Hooker side pipes fit with no fender mods.
Gary, I was thinking Don would be better off keeping the new Holley Avenger ECM rather than jury rigging a GM LS ECM with EFI-Live. Lets talk pro's and cons of the two approaches.

Bullshark
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys 68 View Post
Not too familiar with the holley. But the GM stuff is cheap, widely available, and suupports 400hp on the LQ9. On my LQ9, I was planning an L92 head and cam swap. But the stock motor with exhaust and mail order tune is nearly 400hp, 400ft/lbs and breaks my stock 7" wheel and tire combo lose easily. I think Don is going the same direction.
411 ecu $50, mail order tune $75, and a pick and pull harness is hard to beat for the cost.
Any chance that aluminum block is an LS7, or are you going old school there too, 502 or 540? Just enough to scare Chip in the passenger seat anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post

Bullshark
I purchased a Holley Avenger system 550-400 for my old SBC. Considered using the computer and wiring harness but after looking at it might work. Smaller unit than Chip uses.

Last edited by donnie_19; 01-06-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
United States | Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Last edited by donnie_19; 01-06-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
United States | Addict

That looks just tunable enough for me to screw things up really badly. Same reason I never bought EFI Live or HP tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_19 View Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys 68 View Post
That looks just tunable enough for me to screw things up really badly. Same reason I never bought EFI Live or HP tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_19 View Post
That's the nice thing about the new holley computers. They self tune so if you keep you fingers off the key board it does the work. Going to stop and talk with Chip about it sometime this week since I already have one.