Rubber fuel line temperature "rating"?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Am kicking around swapping out the heater hose section from the water pump to the expansion tank, and replacing that piece with some 3/8" rubber fuel line. (This reduces the amount and weight of minimally productive coolant just sitting in that connection.) I was going to use high pressure (fuel injection rated) hose, but I rarely see what the temperature rating of fuel line is. Obviously the fuel line has to withstand high external/ambient air temperatures, but this application won't have "cool" internal liquid to make life a touch easier on itself.

Any helpful information is appreciated.

Size? AN-12? Bigger? PTFE hose in a stainless braid might reduce weight, and its good to over 400F as I recall. Check AN FITTINGS DIRECT, maybe they can hook you up. They also have carbon, silicone, aluminum, flexible, etc.

Cheers - Jim

Size? AN-12? Bigger? PTFE hose in a stainless braid might reduce weight, and its good to over 400F as I recall. Check AN FITTINGS DIRECT, maybe they can hook you up. They also have carbon, silicone, aluminum, flexible, etc.

Cheers - Jim

No. Just regular 3/8" rubber fuel line hose for injected engines, good for 50-70 psi IIRC. The weight reduction is going to be small, so the cost of the hose and fittings have to be small as well.

For temperature resistance, silicone hose rating would be 300F+ at low pressures. I'm not really sure what fuel hose is made of but most "rubber" materials are maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of silicone.

I think you would be safe with rubber fuel line since the pressure is so low (and in such a small diameter).

Don't some of the rubber lines have SAE numbers that you could reference In their database? Jxxx or something like that? I vaguely recall looking this up a while ago searching for submersible rubber line.

Don't some of the rubber lines have SAE numbers that you could reference In their database? Jxxx or something like that? I vaguely recall looking this up a while ago searching for submersible rubber line.

We're on the same wavelength. :thumbs:

I spent a chunk of today under the car getting the front suspension back together, and I noticed the SAE Jxxxx printing on some (fuel injection rated) hose for my p/s return line. The J number was scuffed, so I couldn't read it (and the rest was under some plastic"armor"). I'm looking around for some remnants from the original hose length to try to get that J number.

My heater core is disconnected (sprung a leak, and I need to pull out that non-productive weight), so there's no flow rate requirements for the hose between the w/p and the expansion tank.

Did some looking around for the SAE J30xx hose specs. The later R7 revision hose is rated at 50psi and 257* F (125*C), and the latest R9 is a bit higher temp rated (275*F), along with a couple other improvements. The nearby FLAPS had the R7 hose in stock, so I got a chunk of that.