Adjusting hood?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Got an aftermarket hi-rise hood a while back for the '84 and have been cutting the crap out of the underside to clear the turbo plumbing, and am now trying to align the damn thing so I can latch it up. It's been going damn slow. Finally got the gaps halfway even, but the latches are too much trial and error. Anyone have a decent method to speed up the progress? The '84 hasn't been out of the garage in ten years, but I'm hoping to do at least one test & tune day this fall with it to figure out what winter projects to do with it. I've kind of run out of quick turnaround ideas for the '69 so I thought I'd spend some time getting the '84 back up running.
Any hood alignment suggestions are appreciated. (I do keep wondering how the factory guys do this in quick fashion on the assembly line.)

It's been so long I don't remember the details on how I did it but the alignment of my aftermarket L88 hood was no big deal.
Is your problem the latching or the gaps left/right?

You're working with a '84...that's a big hood!!

Hood alignment a la 68.

First of all I take a piece of insulated wire and tie it one one of the lever arms in the hood that is used for release ...when I close the hood, I always have the wire protruding from the crack between the hood and body...this way I can pull the wire and release the hood...making sure I never get a hood lock out. If the hood doesn't release when I pull the handle under the dash, I go out and pull my wire to make the release.

To align the body hood pins with the holes in the hood latching mechanism, I cover the holes in the hood mechanism with a sheet of childrens play clay I gently lower the hood and can see how the body pins are aligned up with hood latching holes. When you finally get the pins lined up, its Ok the close the hood with the clay..even if the pins go in and latch, it makes a little mess that's easily removed.

Page 3 of photobucket, you see that I reverse hinged the hood on my '72, try that for a project some day.....eh???:hissyfit::ill::gurney::clobbered::nuts::crylol:

You're working with a '84...that's a big hood!!

Hood alignment a la 68.

First of all I take a piece of insulated wire and tie it one one of the lever arms in the hood that is used for release ...when I close the hood, I always have the wire protruding from the crack between the hood and body...this way I can pull the wire and release the hood...making sure I never get a hood lock out. If the hood doesn't release when I pull the handle under the dash, I go out and pull my wire to make the release.

To align the body hood pins with the holes in the hood latching mechanism, I cover the holes in the hood mechanism with a sheet of childrens play clay I gently lower the hood and can see how the body pins are aligned up with hood latching holes. When you finally get the pins lined up, its Ok the close the hood with the clay..even if the pins go in and latch, it makes a little mess that's easily removed.

I like the wire idea. I'll have to give it a try. :thumbs: