1978 Darth Vader Vette

GoVetteGo

I was thinking about my 78 this winter - what am I going to do with it? It is not original, and I had already rebuilt the engine, suspension, drive train and brake system. Parting it out is a PITA. Then the light bulb went off --- DARTH VADER VETTE!

I will use this thread to post the progress on the customization along with pictures as I go along.

My initial thought is everything will be some shade of Black. Glossy wet single stage exterior, Flat black under carriage. Black interior.

Here are some of the ideas I have so far:

1. Install a C6 rear clip custom made for the C3 by SpeedVette in Michigan. I will take delivery of the rear clip late August at Corvettes @ Carlisle.
2. Center exiting exhaust. I will use Pypes 2 1/2" down pipes and crossover pipe. Then modify from there.
3. Motorized headlights using Miata headlight motors
4. Customize stock hood scoop into the original hood with air induction.
5. Replace front stock quarter panels with flared quarter panels from Custom Image
6. Custom side ground effects with embedded LED running lights to replace the stock rockers.
7. DeWitts Dual SPAL fans
8. Serpentine belt system - all powder coated Gloss Black
9. Custom Fiberglass dash. Seepdo, tach and all gauges will fin front of driver. Center gauge area will house a 7" LCD radio/GPS?DVD with iPod and USB ports.
10. Glassed in modified front bumper. The fake front bumper and tag area will be removed. I am thinking of a custom thin horizontal grill. Powder coated gloss black of course.
11. A pair of 6" LED lights embedded in the left & right of the C6 rear for tail lights and turn signals. Fits the theme better than the stock round lights.
12. Custom center console with a panel for LED switches for all the lights including parking, headlights and running lights.
13. Antenna hole glassed over. Using a hidden electronic antenna.
14. Shaved door handles and lock - IF I can find a suitable, dependable replacement. will need remote door locks with door poppers.Suggestions????
15. Aftermarket AC that works!!! Being all black - this thing will be HOT!

About a week or so ago, I started removing the rear clip. Using a heat gun, a putty knife and a dead blow hammer, I have separated about most of the seams holding the stock rear clip on. I am working slow so I can get the clip off in one piece. It would be nice if someone could use this to repair or restore their Vette.

Thanks for listening!

John

Some of my ideas are carved in stone - the C6 rear clip as an example - but I welcome your thought and ideas.

Last edited:
Just make sure you always have a copy of John Williams' Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back handy. I like it, sounds like a fun project and a great theme, at least to this Star Wars/Corvette nut.

If you check my sites below you can see several shots of the vette in green with 2 tone black accent hood, and various other power coated black pieces,

Just make sure you always have a copy of John Williams' Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back handy. I like it, sounds like a fun project and a great theme, at least to this Star Wars/Corvette nut.

I have the Imperial March on my Droid!!! I was having a bit of fun with the thought of having motion sensors around the car that played specific bits from the sound tracks. Imagine getting near the door and the Imperial March plays!

THANX

John

Last edited:
Best laid plans......

I got a little time to work on Darth this morning. It has been my desire from the beginning to remove the stock rear in one piece. Well, NOT!!! The seam that travels from left to right behind the rear window is a PITA. The center section is easy enough but from about 10-11" from the outside is impossible to get to.

So, Off to plan B!!!! I was able to remove the driver and passenger side rear quarter panels relatively easy.

Here's the driver side removed
DS Quarter-R.jpg
And the Passenger side removed
PS Quarter-R.jpg

Maybe with the quarter panels off, I can get better access to that blind area.
Will find out tomorrow!!

Anyone successfully remove a 1978 rear clip before? Any hints would be welcomed!

John
Ask 1Michel, he did it on his '72.
If you know the correct procedure to remove glued panels, are cautious and check the AIM before starting, you should be good.

I have a couple ideas. Try to incorporate something in the front that resembles Darth Vader's grill on his helmet. Also, if you're up for the expense, have custom wheels made with the imperial logo.
spsw0019_450.jpeg

You could also do a black layover of the tail lights with the imperial logo as well. ;)

Last edited:
funny, now I know where they came up with the idea. I looked at an H3 with wheels that had that design; and I wondered WTF?!! now I know the F :)

oh, and I didn't think it looked that great; but just like anything else - simply my opinion.:surrender:

I have a couple ideas. Try to incorporate something in the front that resembles Darth Vader's grill on his helmet. Also, if you're up for the expense, have custom wheels made with the imperial logo.
spsw0019_450.jpeg

You could also do a black layover of the tail lights with the imperial logo as well. ;)

Thanks clutchdust! I like the idea. Initially, my thought was to have everything black. Now I am thinking of silver hightlights - ghost painting on the quarter panels with silhouettes of Vader, Luke & Yoda.

Thanks for the ideas - the wheels would have to wait but Melikes!!!:idea:

John

Did It!!!!

I had just about given up on getting the rear surround off in once piece but gave it one last try this morning. There are a couple areas that are almost impossible to get to.

So, as of 11:00 AM, the rear surround was off the car and sitting on the driveway. AND IT'S OFF IN ONE PIECE!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Here is the surround on ground

78 Rear Clip 1.jpg

And the aftermath!!!

Darth Rear -1.jpg

It helped to have the rear glass removed, the gas tank removed and the rear quarter panels taken off.

Next job is to clean all the excess adhesive off all the seams!

Glad this part is behind me!!!

Last edited:
Crated and Ready to GO!!

Got an email from Jeff at SpeedVette this morning with pictures of my C6 rear clip! Already for transport to Corvettes at Carlisle!!! WOOHOO!

Here are 2 shots of the clip.

Crated 2 -1.jpg

Crated 1-1.jpg

I must say that working with Jeff over the past several weeks has been a blast! He has answered any and all of my questions and adding pictures whenever it clarified a question. Jeff is a CAR GUY thru and thru!!!!

16 days and counting!!!

Have you considered mounting it as a flip - rear? Hinged at the bottom of the rear bumper brackets? No real advantage - but Darth fashion maybe?

Have you considered mounting it as a flip - rear? Hinged at the bottom of the rear bumper brackets? No real advantage - but Darth fashion maybe?

Very interesting thought!!! My biggest concern would be air getting under the front of the clip while flying down the highway. It would take a ton of engineering.

I like it but need to get it some thought.

Thanks!

Not raised in this image - but you get the idea:
thum_1269502234e811718.jpg

Chevy concept car XP819.

And, here is a Factory Five GTM:

thum_1269502246cf4b46a.jpg

Admittedly neither are front engined - but nice access to rear suspension in the FF. Not so much in the X819.

AND, from Corvettes @ Carlisile
thum_126950225a2cb6753.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
I got some time in on the Vader Vette the past couple days. I still had paint on the passenger side door and the right front fender. So I attacked the paint using CirtuStrip. Here is a picture of the application of CitruStrip:
PS 1.jpg
I find the spray can is more effective to use. Once I spray an area, I cover it with wax paper. The wax paper helps keep the stripper wet longer. After about an hour, I remove the wax paper, spray with water and scrape the paint off with a putty knife. This car had the original primer and paint, then an epoxy primer then two more coats of paint. PITA!!!

Yesterday, I had a couple hours in the morning so I started removing the old bonding adhesive in preparation of the new clip coming this weekend. Initially, I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive - SLOW and ineffective. Got out a dead blow hammer and my trusty set of wood chisels an hour or so later I had most of the adhesive off.

Here is a shot of the left rear with most of the adhesive off the bonding areas.

LR 1.jpg

There was some kind of accident to the rear of the quarter panel. I found some fiberglass mat poorly adhered to this area. I will fix the bonding area correctly and be ready for the new clip.

More to come!

John

Last edited:
Got a little time between service calls this morning so I started repairing the damage to the left rear wheel well bonding area. Sanded the bonding area then laid a couple pieces of mat. Once this cures, I will add mat to the 3 damaged areas.

Here is a picture after the first application. Before picture is in prior post.

LR -3.jpg

Last edited:
No progress on the Darth Vader Vette this weekend but progress on another form. I went to Carlisle Saturday with a couple friends and picked up my C6 Rear Clip.

Here is a picture of the clip along with Bruce who was kind enough to haul it from Michigan to Carlisle for me.

Clip in Trailer.jpg
THANK YOU BRUCE!

The clip is now safely secured in another friends trailer for its journey back to our area north of Philly. I will pick it up later this week.

I also scored these items: 4 Perfect C6 tail lights, complete rear wiring harness, a complete front wiring harness and all 4 C6 side marker lights. AND none of it broke the bank!!!

I was kind of surprised at the lack of people at Carlisle on Saturday. Generally Saturdays were tough going, wall to wall people down every isle. This year not so much - easy shopping day.

I really kind of felt weird - this is the first year in 15 that I wasn't looking for C3 parts!!!!

Well, more to come this week. I need to finish rebuilding the bonding area above the driver side rear wheel well and then get the remainder of old adhesive off.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

John