Diagnose my Suburban's power steering

turtlevette

The Turdle
The PS works fine when cold but it gets to the point where its hard to turn the wheel when it gets warm. Basically total loss of power assist. You can hear the system complaining but its not doing anything.

I replaced the pump and it seemed to work fine for a few months and now its back to doing the same thing.

Do you think the system is full of dirt and crap? Or is it just worn out and as the fluid gets more viscus it bypasses the internal working mechanism. I did buy a filter that goes in the return line to try. I should probably flush the system too.

I tried adding a little Lucas oil stabalizer to thicken the fluid and it didn't do much. I'll add some more and try again.

IF it's rack, change the rack......same thing in my '87 vette.....

if it's ball, I dunno, can't help you....

almost have to be the pump then....

Check to see if the pulley is slipping when the pump gets hot. I some a friends do this just last week. It's kind of strange.

Jim,
I would get a rebuilt rack at the zone. Sounds like the internal seals are shot to me.

Jim,
I would get a rebuilt rack at the zone. Sounds like the internal seals are shot to me.

Do new burbies have racks.:eek:

This is an old fashion recirc ball PS box that weighs 31 pounds. Its a big ass 3/4 ton truck guys.

I'll try tighening or replacing the belts first like Dirtbuster suggested. I could envision an oil soaked belt slipping when it warms up.

Last edited:
Jim,

Do new burbies have racks.:eek:

This is an old fashion recirc ball PS box that weighs 31 pounds. Its a big ass 3/4 ton truck guys.

I'll try tighening or replacing the belts first like Dirtbuster suggested. I could envision an oil soaked belt slipping when it warms up.

Wonder if there is any chance of that stupid press fit pulley slipping when hot on the pump shaft.....something off the wall like that....missing woodruff key???

:shocking: