Been off working on the hot rod lately

I built myself a new bench seat frame for the '38 this week. I went to one of the "pick-a-part" style self help junk yards on Monday (50% off day) and found a nice 1/2 ton Ford pickup bench seat for $15. I removed the fabric and foam (foam in good shape - saved it) and set up a table in the garage to redo it. I ended up taking a 12.5 inch section out of the bottom and back to get a good fit in the '38 Coupe. I overlapped the joints, added some reinforcement plates and MIG welded everything up and painted it to cover the bare steel.

Now I need to find a good upholsterer in the Phoenix area to do a nice tuck and roll on it. My wife says she wants to get the upholstery done for my birthday which is in early March.

Here are some pics:

The original seat after removing the fabric and foam:

seat1.jpg

Here is a shot of it welded together (narrowed 12.5")

seat2.jpg

Here are a couple shots of it in the car (not bolted down - just rough fitting - still need to add webbing back in seat bottom)

seat3.jpg

seat4.jpg

that looks really good, compared to NJ and OHIO where i have lived i for the past 14 yrs the DC area really stinks for the car hobby, i doubt i could find a place like that to get any parts. I think its because of the amount of white collar jobs compared to blue collar jobs in the DC area. i just don't think the white collar folks tinker as much with cars as the blue collar guys. Probably has to do with skill levels and interest.

I built myself a new bench seat frame for the '38 this week. I went to one of the "pick-a-part" style self help junk yards on Monday (50% off day) and found a nice 1/2 ton Ford pickup bench seat for $15. I removed the fabric and foam (foam in good shape - saved it) and set up a table in the garage to redo it. I ended up taking a 12.5 inch section out of the bottom and back to get a good fit in the '38 Coupe. I overlapped the joints, added some reinforcement plates and MIG welded everything up and painted it to cover the bare steel.

Now I need to find a good upholsterer in the Phoenix area to do a nice tuck and roll on it. My wife says she wants to get the upholstery done for my birthday which is in early March.

That frame looks like it is brand new and for $15 to boot, NICE!

That frame looks like it is brand new and for $15 to boot, NICE!

Thanks BBShark - nothin' like saving a few bucks. There are plenty of companies out there willing to sell me a new seat frame for $750 and up (and up and up and up) but why??? I have about 8 hours in this frame including my time to go find it and pull it out. Oh, it did cost me $2 to enter and look around the yard so I guess it was a $17 total cost ;-)

$2.....ok how do you suppose they came up with that entry fee.....i certainly would pay it, but i am surprised that they dont waive it if you buy somehting

$2.....ok how do you suppose they came up with that entry fee.....i certainly would pay it, but i am surprised that they dont waive it if you buy somehting

I don't know where they got the $2 from but all the yards that let you pull your own parts charge the same amount and you have to sign in (probably a waiver in case you injur yourself).

To be honest, in this day and age where people sue each other for just about everything I'm surprised these places exist. The best days to go are their 50% off days. My seat would have been $30 on any other day of the week.

Tom

that 2$ may cover the insurance costs of letting people walk around in the yard, no profit involved in it just covering costs

that looks really good, compared to NJ and OHIO where i have lived i for the past 14 yrs the DC area really stinks for the car hobby, i doubt i could find a place like that to get any parts. I think its because of the amount of white collar jobs compared to blue collar jobs in the DC area. i just don't think the white collar folks tinker as much with cars as the blue collar guys. Probably has to do with skill levels and interest.

TELL me about it, why in hell anyone think the country is in so much trouble these daze??? bunch of fucking lawyers.....(if you are a lawyer, please not to take it personally)......

but take a look at the percentage of new cars on the road, they ALL 'new' up there, and so what percentage are American brands...?? 10% roughly....

I lived there 53 years until '97 then moved here....Florida is a CAR state...auto hobby all over the joint.... NO EMISSIONS or safety maven crap to look out for.....

I should have moved here in '70 or so.....

or sooner yet....Where a car hobby type person has a chance of actually buying a decent smaller house and have a garage....

:cry:

Tom what did you use for the gas tank? i saw the post on hotrodders.com about the fuel cell from summit did you use that one? and did you like it? your car is looking good, i got the 37 flatbedded over on saturday and i have a couple of days worth of work setting up the garage before i can start on the 37 but the pictures of your car are getting me psyched to start wrenching and welding again......