ZZ4 complete engine in 67-69 Camaro

BRUTAL64

Neanderthal
Do any of you guys know if the Power Steering pump -on the ZZ4 turn key engine- is compatible with power steering gear box on first Gen ( or Second Gen for that matter) Camaro?

Thanks.:drink:

YES, it should be, I have a '88 vette serp drive/pump with remote reservoir on it and stuck the '72 pump valving in there for the stock steering 15 years ago....still there, even with the rack, works fine.....

for ME, the valving was a direct bolt in swap.....

:hi:

First gen Camaro needs a pump pressure of 900-1000 psi. Not sure about second gen. The modern metric pumps are all 1500-1600 psi to my knowledge. The bypass pressure of the metric pump can be reduced to lower pressure pretty easily.

First gen Camaro needs a pump pressure of 900-1000 psi. Not sure about second gen. The modern metric pumps are all 1500-1600 psi to my knowledge. The bypass pressure of the metric pump can be reduced to lower pressure pretty easily.

Can I quote you on this?:beer:

You just did, see the "Quote" button :rofl:

Seriously, information on pump pressure is from a Saginaw Power Steering Gear and Pump training manual, August 1975. Information about metric pumps is either my understanding or I pulled it out of my ass:D

Seriously, information on pump pressure is from a Saginaw Power Steering Gear and Pump training manual, August 1975. Information about metric pumps is either my understanding or I pulled it out of my ass:D

I wonder, SO many guys complain of the racks being over assisted, I wonder as that switch of valving, which plugged in for me, that if I didn't inadvertantly do something that served really well for the rack install...

I think the assist is really about right, and certainly less than most other vehicles.....I need another vette hotrodder to drive my car sometime....

TIMAT, you around sometime soon, I need another experienced shark hotrodder's opinion on lots of this stuff, really.....since it's my only performance ride, I welcome other input as to what's what.....

:hissyfit::smash::fishing:

Thanks, I'm going with it.:bounce: