chroming fiberglass can it be done?

yes-ish.... vacuum plating. It's not dipped chrome, but it's the same technique they use to chrome plastic grills at the factory

I don't know what it is you want "chromed" but if it is not too critical, you might want to consider these options.
I re-did the chrome around my dash lenses with this silver marker and the chrome seat parts with Dupli-color spray chrome.

IMG_20120621_170514.jpg

IMG_20120621_170348.jpg

100_1067.jpg

I don't know what it is you want "chromed" but if it is not too critical, you might want to consider these options.
I re-did the chrome around my dash lenses with this silver marker and the chrome seat parts with Dupli-color spray chrome.

IMG_20120621_170514.jpg

IMG_20120621_170348.jpg

100_1067.jpg

mmmmm.... Skylark :)

The parts I want to chrome is my cooling capsule, the air intake system (think that is plastic though) the evaporator core box, the electric fan mounts and blades.

Thought all that would be nice finishing touch to my c4 conversion.

I was once looking at a large pick-up truck with damage to it's bumper. It cracked at at close look, it was vacuum deposited chrome over plastic.

I've often wondered about creating fiberglass gel coated versions of C3 rear bumpers and chrome vacuum depositing them. The fiberglass versions would be a lot lighter and not that much of a safety problem, since the iron bumpers are mostly worthless. Also, vacuum deposition might do a better job. Using electrolytic plating, it's hard to get chrome into the inner "elbow" where the vertical sections of the bumper (near the license plate) curve to make the horizontal section. Traditional chrome plating is becoming very expensive due to environmental "concerns."

I was once looking at a large pick-up truck with damage to it's bumper. It cracked at at close look, it was vacuum deposited chrome over plastic.

I've often wondered about creating fiberglass gel coated versions of C3 rear bumpers and chrome vacuum depositing them. The fiberglass versions would be a lot lighter and not that much of a safety problem, since the iron bumpers are mostly worthless. Also, vacuum deposition might do a better job. Using electrolytic plating, it's hard to get chrome into the inner "elbow" where the vertical sections of the bumper (near the license plate) curve to make the horizontal section. Traditional chrome plating is becoming very expensive due to environmental "concerns."

I did this to Buick Skylark bumpers - it worked well, but it never saw any kind of weather

Regardless of what process you use, the part to be coated has to be smooth like glass to really look like chrome.