Ignition issue - urgent

Belgian1979vette

I have done a lot of work lately, involving putting on the efi manifold and clutch. All cabling was already wired before. The only thing I had to do was splice a wire onto the old positive wire leading up to my HEI and connecting that to the coil, as well as splicing into the tach wire to connect that onto the new electronic dizzy. Also had to take out the starter motor to work on the oil pan and reconnected it. The starter does work, but I do not seem to have voltage on the wire to the coil (pink wire) which normally connects up to the positive terminal of the old HEI.

Have to mention that while taking out the starter, one of the wires momentarily shorted on the header. I'm not sure if that would have caused a problem with the thermal switches on the red wires to the starter, but I assume that I would have had other things quiting on my if they were the issure.

Any ideas on what this could be and where to start looking ?

Thanks !!

Last edited:
Take the pink wire from the HEI, and go directly to +12 at the horn relay stud, or maybe alt output stud.....and disconnect all other wires from that HEI input....a clip lead should do fine.....

lemme know.....

GENE

Boy do I feel stupid. I found out that I accidentally pushed in the hold button on my multimeter..:smash::smash::surrender:..I did have current. Something else is fubarred in the wiring of the coil and dizzy. Now I need to figure out how to deal with that one.

:eek::smash::smash::smash:

Boy do I feel stupid. I found out that I accidentally pushed in the hold button on my multimeter..:smash::smash::surrender:..I did have current. Something else is fubarred in the wiring of the coil and dizzy. Now I need to figure out how to deal with that one.

:eek::smash::smash::smash:

:twitch: Shit happens.....:surrender:

Hm, yesterday I had it sparking but I seem to have gotten a spark at TDC and then one at 90° after the first one.

Who said that this efi conversion was easy ...:smash:

Need to check my plug wires. Luckily a new set is on the way.

in answer to your grounding question - no, the in-line fuses protect what is downstream from the starter; so they should be fine.

do you have power to the pink wire in the "start" position?

in answer to your grounding question - no, the in-line fuses protect what is downstream from the starter; so they should be fine.

do you have power to the pink wire in the "start" position?

You are absolutely correct sir :friends::beer:
Well I got that same comment from someone and this turned out to be the cullprit for a lot of my problems. I had current in run position but not in start position...

Fixed that and ....fire in the hole.:yahoo:

I'm currently awaiting someone's advice on for further fine tuning the idling. There is certain risk involved.

But oh boy that Aeromotive A1000 is one loud MF. I will start up another thread about that in the EFI section.