C3 Radio upgrade on the cheap

Bullshark

I have been looking for a way to upgrade my old c3 stereo radio without having to by a new center gauge bezel ($200 plus) and a single din aftermarket radio. Or, buy one of those high dollar C3 classic radio upgrades that replace the old stock radio and still don't have many of today's option capabilities. I came up with the following:

Wholesale Brand New 7~12V Car Handsfree Bluetooth MP3 decode board with Bluetooth module+FM

LED switches for the Volume and tuning holes

I took the old bezel off my radio and insert the module which fits perfect. I will have to come up with somthing to fill the push button slot. Thinking of just an LED back light with semi transparent blue plexiglass lens.

1754a4a2806ba99.jpg

1754a4a280b0c8e.jpg

I would install a stereo amp behind the center gauge console much like the present old radio. Could be any stereo amp that meets individual need. I just happened to have this one

1754a4ab3dd4448.jpg

If you guys have any thoughts or ways to improve, I'm all ears. :idea: :chinese:

I like it. Maybe convert the push button slot to a cubby to stash your cell phone or MP3 player?

If the amp proves to be too big, look for a Class D amp. They tend to be smaller and run much cooler than other class amps.

DC

I messed around with all that when I got the car, back in '95-96 and found out that if you can hear the stereo, you exhaust is too quiet.....:devil::D

For many of the last years, I've been going back and forth with the idea of restoring the original factory AC Delco radios in my 68 (AM/FM) and 70 (AM/FM Stereo). The big sticking point has been repair cost and then .... notwithstanding the cost, some wondering about how reliable the restorations will be. If you bought an early C3, with AM/FM Stereo, the radio was extremely expensive..($500) you could buy some expensive engine upgrades for the same expense..a BB tripower for about the same price. These radios were very expensive, and from what I've read and from what I've observed looking at their circuity manufacture, were not very good quality. You can see amaturish/cold looking solder joints.

One reason, I've been slow to pony up the money for a radio restore, is as mrvette alluded too, I can barely hear the radio anyhow.