Full floating front brakes

84rzv500r

Knows just enough to be dangerous!
Anybody convert their front brake rotors to full floating? I have the VBP billet alloy hubs and Willwood superlite calipers... the cool part about the VBP alloy hubs is that they use off the shelf 8 on 7" 11.75"x1.25 inch rotors. these are plentiful in all types of configurations and materials... anywho i was just gonna get a set the Coleman Racing floating rotors and t bolts. it should be a bolt on affair
http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-Rotor-8-Bolt-7-BC-Floating-P3579.aspx

thum_16554ce97a926a9.jpg

thum_16554ce9b206da1.jpg

That's a GREAT Price.

Considering what T-Bobbins go for new, and they've included a set with the disc that makes a great deal. Please keep posting (part numbers or links are helpful too) as you develop this - I may follow suit to match the full floating inboards I've built with my new rear suspension.

Cheers - Jim

a little more research shows these little gems from wilwood and allstar from pitstopusa...

Wilwood Dynamic Rotor Mounting Plate (Only) for Machined Wide 5 Hubs
(WIL300-8431) - these look like they will work with the VB&P alloy hubs

Wilwood Ultralite 32 Vane Drilled Rotor - 11.75" Diameter - 1.25" Width - 8 x 7.00" Bolt Circle - .325" Hole Type - 8.34" Far Side I.D. - 6.38" Lug I.D. - 7.7 lbs.
(WIL160-5864) - many choices here i can even bump to 12.15 dia if i add another set of caliper mounting holes

Wilwood Dynamic Rotor to Plate Bolt Kit w/ T-Nuts and Installation Tool - Grade 8 Socket Head - Lock Wire Drilled w/ AN Washers
(WIL230-8454)

Allstar Performance RH Aluminum Single Spindle Duct - Lightweight
(ALL42117)

Allstar Performance LH Aluminum Single Spindle Duct - Lightweight
(ALL42116)

Allstar Performance Universal Rear Bumper Kit
(ALL22373) - need to put tubing around my fuel cell...

Correction

:smash:
Anybody convert their front brake rotors to full floating? I have the VBP billet alloy hubs and Willwood superlite calipers... the cool part about the VBP alloy hubs is that they use off the shelf 8 on 7" 11.75"x1.25 inch rotors. these are plentiful in all types of configurations and materials... anywho i was just gonna get a set the Coleman Racing floating rotors and t bolts. it should be a bolt on affair
http://www.colemanracing.com/Brake-Rotor-8-Bolt-7-BC-Floating-P3579.aspx

thum_16554ce97a926a9.jpg

thum_16554ce9b206da1.jpg

I supplied some incorrect info they are 11.75x 1.25 10 hole Nascar 8.125 bolt circle (not yet verifed) pattern..

I also am gonna switch to polymatrix Q pads on the front to match the rear as the "E"'s are AMAZING hot or cold... however 9400 miles hard on rotors

i can see i will have some time on the mill converting the holes to slots for t style bobbins... I aint scared...:smash::smash::smash::smash::bounce:

Last edited:
Besides the fact that floating calipers are much newer technology, is there any significant performance upgrade from this modification? I would assume that those Wilwood calipers are significantly lighter than the stock parts, but overall, the C2/C3 disc brake system seems pretty good to me.

I am a big fan of full floating rotors... ive been running them on motorcycles since the 80's...
advantages:
- they resist warping when hot due to the stress induced by expansion
- they tend not to push the pads back when hot so that first touch of the brakes is consistent after that long straight
- easy to change up to 12.19 DIA or larger.. I can go to at least 12.19 with my current calipers/steel wheel setup by modifying a spare set of caliper carriers
- they rattle when you coast
- it freaks people out when you grab them and they wiggle laterally
- very few others have them
disadvantages:
- costly once you get out of the 8 on 7 bolt modified 10.5 or 11.75 diameters and into the NASCAR 10 & 12 bolt patterns
- to get exactly what I want I will have to machine the correct slots in the rotor for the t-bolts and VB&P had the best price around on 11.75x1.25 10 bolt on 8.125

and yes the stock corvette iron calipers are pretty good though the racing guys use J56 and caliper bracket stiffeners

the unsprung weight difference is dramatic and very noticeable in ride quality