c4 leaf spring in my c3

jeffstingray

ok so i have a c4 spring but i have heard that its possible to make it fit to my c3
now the biggest question is the mounting block in the middle because the spring is to thin in the middle ,how did you guys tackle that?
pics are welkome :sos:

Thoughts? I think it's going to be cheaper to ship a properly-fitting C3 fiberglass leaf spring over from the US than to make this kludge work.

I've been using several different rate C4 springs on my '69 for years. Main reason is the variety of different rates available and the C4 springs are usually dirt cheap.

I've got the late C3 batwing on my car (for weight reasons), and I just welded up an adapter to capture the C4 spring on the top and bottom (via the four positioning "nubs/bumps" on each side), and the adapter is attached using the stock C3 spring bolts. I'll check to see if I have any pictures of the adapter.

A question I can't answer is the spring length (stock C4 versus stock C3). I've got a narrowed C4 suspension on my car (kept the C3 differential for strength and packaging purposes), so I had to shorten the spring a little to fit my setup.

Edit: Found an ancient picture from when I was putting the suspension together. My bracket is a little more complex due to the need for a rear toe bracket, but essentially all you would probably need is two flat, but stiff, plates to sandwich the spring, with four locating holes (for the spring nubs) on each plate, and then additional holes that allow the retaining bolts to thread into the differential cover.

IM001117.jpg

Last edited: