frame crossmember

fisheson

okay, getting ready to cut out the cross member in the 63 frame to make it removable, have seen some ideas looking,... to see what the forum has to offer for ideas on this mod,........thanks:fishing:

I did mine on the '72 , it was a muncie 4 speed, but got changed to an automatic, for the cheap overdrive some 20 years ago, as stick trans even at 5 speed were running some 4+ grand at the time....

I cut the cross support about 4" from the frame rails, and while at it, I opened up the loops where the pipes ran through.....2" angle iron welded to the top/rear of the center section to overlap the pieces welded in place, drilled a hole going fore/aft through the top section to bolt it in place using the 2" iron to rest on the ends, and there is a smaller section of angle on the bottom to keep it all in line, that 1/2 inch bolt not going anywhere.....

when opening the loops, the thing gets really weak, duh....so I cut out the frame sections on the bottom to form a very wide upside down V and closed in the open frame sections and across the top a piece went straight across from top of frame to top of frame, then measure between the straight piece to top of old hoop, insert another piece and weld that in place, this forms a bridge like lattice work and frees up exhaust so that on my car just 6-8 bolts drops the exhaust on the ground, and the cross support is out with releasing the shifter parts, and the two 1/2" bolts near the frame rails....the trans is yours then......

this mod was done many years ago, over ten, anyway, doing well, not that it's a daily commuter......

:nuts:

I did mine on the '72 , it was a muncie 4 speed, but got changed to an automatic, for the cheap overdrive some 20 years ago, as stick trans even at 5 speed were running some 4+ grand at the time....

I cut the cross support about 4" from the frame rails, and while at it, I opened up the loops where the pipes ran through.....2" angle iron welded to the top/rear of the center section to overlap the pieces welded in place, drilled a hole going fore/aft through the top section to bolt it in place using the 2" iron to rest on the ends, and there is a smaller section of angle on the bottom to keep it all in line, that 1/2 inch bolt not going anywhere.....

when opening the loops, the thing gets really weak, duh....so I cut out the frame sections on the bottom to form a very wide upside down V and closed in the open frame sections and across the top a piece went straight across from top of frame to top of frame, then measure between the straight piece to top of old hoop, insert another piece and weld that in place, this forms a bridge like lattice work and frees up exhaust so that on my car just 6-8 bolts drops the exhaust on the ground, and the cross support is out with releasing the shifter parts, and the two 1/2" bolts near the frame rails....the trans is yours then......

this mod was done many years ago, over ten, anyway, doing well, not that it's a daily commuter......

:nuts:

any pics by chance, i know it was awhile ago.............thanks

I'm running sidepipes...

Body is not off- so I didn't want to weld.

Bought some 3" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" 36" in length steel rectangular for about $20.

DSCN4030_zpse8eb5818.jpg

Cut out the crossmemeber w/ a sawzall-

DSCN3976_zps5f007804.jpg

Slides in the drivers side-

DSCN4033_zps94e81063.jpg

Test fit

14731196186_34ec43ca57_h.jpgDSCN4446 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Drilled a few holes-modded the OEM bracket- painted it up- bolted it in- TKO 500

24620512493_182794afe4_h.jpgDSCN5973 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr