ABS Scan tool

Stpman

Does anyone know of a scan tool that will allow me to get live data from the ABS module on my 06 Silverado? I have an ABS issue that won't show a code and I'm thinking it's a pulse count difference in the speed sensors. Front bearings are good (LF factory RF replaced 6 months ago 2nd time), ABS light comes on until 60 kph (35 - 40 Mph), activates when stopping and pulls slightly right.

Had this happen years ago and went away when I change the RF bearing after pulling the code.

Don't know what scan tool you would need specifically, but some other things you can check are to inspect the rings on the hubs/rotors that the wheel speed sensors are reading and make sure they aren't bent, cracked, or damaged in any way. You can also unplug the sensor and check the resistance on the sensor at the connector and compare the RF and the LF sensors. After that, while monitoring the resistance, try bending the cable around in several different ways. Imagine how the suspension moves and how the cable would flex, the sensors typically have ground shielding and over time this can break down and give intermittent issues with the ABS system. These were all typically diagnostic tests we would perform when I was a Ford tech. Granted that was back in the late 90s, the same principles should apply to your Tahoe. It's a start anyway. Good luck. :)

Yes, a TechII w/candy module will do it. I have one. It's horrendously expensive though. You can get a chbinese knockoff version that runs the same. Still a lot of dough though

Yes, a TechII w/candy module will do it. I have one. It's horrendously expensive though. You can get a chbinese knockoff version that runs the same. Still a lot of dough though

I was told to stay away from the Chinese ones but that was some years ago

Pardon my olde tyme ass, but I been driving for decades without ABS, and fail to see anything that brings to the table......

MAYBE once in my tail assed LIGHT '60 vette about 1/2 a century ago...maybe.....but that was drum brakes too boot and a solid axle.......

:amazed::tomato:

Does anyone know of a scan tool that will allow me to get live data from the ABS module on my 06 Silverado? I have an ABS issue that won't show a code and I'm thinking it's a pulse count difference in the speed sensors. Front bearings are good (LF factory RF replaced 6 months ago 2nd time), ABS light comes on until 60 kph (35 - 40 Mph), activates when stopping and pulls slightly right.

Had this happen years ago and went away when I change the RF bearing after pulling the code.

Does your truck have the Kelsey-Hayes ABS? My module went bad and never threw a code.

Does your truck have the Kelsey-Hayes ABS? My module went bad and never threw a code.

I check, thanks

Glad you found in and fortunate that it threw a hard code. It can be a real pain when it is intermittent with no codes. Hubs and sensors are too expensive to just start swapping parts too, so good thing it cooperated.