Project Menace: 1972 C3 Corvette

DTM

Hi i would like to inform you about my project car called MENACE

its a 72 corvette convertible.. I live in Holland and im having this car built in the USA at Heartland Customs.. Here a description of the car..

This highly modified 1972 Corvette Roadster is being built by Heartland Customs in Purcell, OK. www.Heartlandcustoms.us

This should be the most technically advanced classic car ever built with all of its modern amenitites and technology.

Every panel on the car will be modified to reflect modern pro-touring style and the car will sit on a custom built chassis with 2011 Corvette ZR1 suspension, carbon ceramic brakes and wheel and tire combo. The car will have a removable carbon fiber hard top with a panoramic roof and a speed sensitive rear spoiler like the Mercedes SLS and Bugatti Veyron.

For the driveline the car will have an all aluminum 632 c.i., fuel injected big block from Nelson Racing that boasts 850 hp. Attached to that is a T-56 six speed transmission.

The interior is completely custom designed with everything inside being one of a kind. The theme here is clean, modern and super high tech. The iPAD in the dash will give the driver full functionality of the iPAD as well as will control all functions of the car including the modern heat and A/C. Behind the actuator controlled movable iPAD is the Pioneer stereo head unit that will take commands via bluetooth/WIFI from the iPAD and play all iPAD functions and sounds through the custom designed stereo system. The custom machined rotary knob on the console will control stereo functions and amplifier gain without having to lower the iPAD to access the controls. The iPAd will also display sensor data collected from the cars many sensors.

The custom designed seats will be covered in Italian leather with Alcantara inserts and will feature heating and cooling elements. If you notice there is also a vent in the headrest called the "air scarf." This will enable the driver and passanger to blow a controlable amount of heated or cooled air on their neck according to the exterior conditions. This will all be controlled by touch on the iPAD. The console will also be refrigerated to keep drinks cold on road trips.

The gauge cluster is completely custom made and features an analog tachometer with an inset digital speedometer. On both sides are 4.3" LCD touchscreens that display sensor data from the car and are completely customizable and can display up to twelve sensors simultaneously. The custom skins of the LCD screens will also display turn signals, exterior temperature, clock and other indicators. The LCD screens are customized to match the color theme and design of the car.

This is a little taste of the innovative things that are in store for this car.

Hope you enjoy the build...

Attachments

• 72_Corvette_Gauge_Pod_1_6 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Gauge_Pod_1_6 - kopie.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_Front_View_1 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Front_View_1 - kopie.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_HardTop_1 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_HardTop_1 - kopie.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_Interior_4 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Interior_4 - kopie.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_Layout - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Layout - kopie.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 131
extra renderings

more renderings...

Attachments

• 72_Corvette_Titanium_Top_View_2 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Top_View_2 - kopie.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_Rear_Profile_1 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Rear_Profile_1 - kopie.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 72_Corvette_Titanium_Rear_1_2 - kopie.jpg
    72_Corvette_Titanium_Rear_1_2 - kopie.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 91
Keep the updates coming.
One suggestion....keep the C3 flip up headlights. It just looks so right on these cars.

I second the idea of keeping the popups, they are now banned for safety reason, it's a privilege you should exercise.
IMHO it would be like putting a smog pump on a pre '75 engine.

My healigths pop up, fuck you lambos & ferraris :devil::kissass:

Light mod idea :
Instead of the big round headlight lenses, put some low profile rectangular lights (or smaller round) and then mod the headlights doors in such way they lay perfectly horizontal when open.

Light mod idea :
Instead of the big round headlight lenses, put some low profile rectangular lights (or smaller round) and then mod the headlights doors in such way they lay perfectly horizontal when open.

I didn't like the associated aero noise with the lights up at night myself -- so went flush a long time ago. BUTdenpro--- I like your thinking here - Sort of a "James Bond"3 sided license plate that is flush down, spins when actuated and is flush with the lights UP! COOOL! Wasn't possible before - but now with compact projectors etc - may be very do-able.

Also really like the 'ray tail on the hood -- nice touch.

Cheers - Jim
BTW Your Renderings - using Rhino? MAX or???

You're are definitely aiming for the kind car I would have loved to make if sky was the limit.

This will be a magnificent machine.

I like that you took care not to obstruct the driver view.
The elige-like hood vent are cool too.
300ish tire without flares, wow, that gonna be tight down there.

Since I will never make such project, may I share some of my personal reflections about was could be done on a (almost) unlimited budget to make a difference:
-Birdcage: how to make the passengers safe without an ugly rollcage. Imagine a carbon fiber replacement birdcage (well I'm thinking coupe here)
-Silent door: how to make the door close as smoothly has modern cars.
-ABS, airbags: to my knowledge they don't exist as aftermarket, for a reason, still that would be cool on a C3.

I tried to get my wrecked headlight assys to work yet again with lo rise popup and lo profile lights of whatever works configuration....

I settled for simple and forgot the operating tricks....

:crylol::nuts:

denpro--- I like your thinking here - Sort of a "James Bond"3 sided license plate that is flush down, spins when actuated and is flush with the lights UP! COOOL! Wasn't possible before - but now with compact projectors etc - may be very do-able.
Well, you when further that me, I was simply thinking about restraining the popup doors so they would stop raising pretty much halfway.
Instead of raising upward, the light door would lay horizontal.
What would be totally wicked, if doable, would be to tweak the door rotation axis so that when open the door are leaning toward the center of the car.
This would make a frowning angry face, with smaller projector on the "inside" of the headlight.

16554edd633a934c8.jpg

denpro--- I like your thinking here - Sort of a "James Bond"3 sided license plate that is flush down, spins when actuated and is flush with the lights UP! COOOL! Wasn't possible before - but now with compact projectors etc - may be very do-able.
Well, you when further that me, I was simply thinking about restraining the popup doors so they would stop raising pretty much halfway.
Instead of raising upward, the light door would lay horizontal.
What would be totally wicked, if doable, would be to tweak the door rotation axis so that when open the door are leaning toward the center of the car.
This would make a frowning angry face, with smaller projector on the "inside" of the headlight.

16554edd633a934c8.jpg

This is what I'm considering doing with my car to get the exact same effect. The thing it would require is that the hinge portion be on a bias, so the axis is about 60* off perpendicular to the centerline of the car. To make it look best, I think you would need to glass in the original holes and start from scratch.
I have also been working on a very simple mechanical means of raising/lowering the lights with a single actuator. All it takes is time and money.

I second the idea of keeping the popups, they are now banned for safety reason, it's a privilege you should exercise.

Light mod idea :

Thx.. we talked a lot about the headlights.. we thought there were finaly three options..

1) keep original with new technique so no vacuum..
2) delete them and put headlights in the grill
3) replace them for c6 styled ones.

ad1) this was a serious option.. but besides the vacuum system wich causes a lot of problems also the noise the headlights make when they are down and you ride over a bad road is one of the reasons to do sth else...
ad2) was a very very serious option.. Look what heartland customs did with the c2 zr1... but then the lights are to low for dutch law..
ad3) we came to this idea in the renderings.. i thnk it looks great in this updated theme of the car.. but as you see a lot of bad/ugly executions of this kind of headlights, the challenge is to execute it so good that it looks like it had been original...

Attachments

• DSC_3546_a_s.jpg
    DSC_3546_a_s.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20
  • A5_BW_hid_projector_headlights.jpg
    A5_BW_hid_projector_headlights.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 614005.jpg
    614005.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 19
  • 72_Corvette_Headlights_3.jpg
    72_Corvette_Headlights_3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You're are definitely aiming for the kind car I would have loved to make if sky was the limit.

This will be a magnificent machine.

I like that you took care not to obstruct the driver view.
The elige-like hood vent are cool too.
300ish tire without flares, wow, that gonna be tight down there.

<actually, it will be 345 on the rear...>

Since I will never make such project, may I share some of my personal reflections about was could be done on a (almost) unlimited budget to make a difference:
-Birdcage: how to make the passengers safe without an ugly rollcage. Imagine a carbon fiber replacement birdcage (well I'm thinking coupe here)

<yest thats more sth for a coupe i thnk.>

-Silent door: how to make the door close as smoothly has modern cars.

<thats a subject we discussed.. the car doors will close like the doors of my MB.. thats what heartland promised.. has a lot to do with insulation>

-ABS, airbags: to my knowledge they don't exist as aftermarket, for a reason, still that would be cool on a C3.

<ABS is sth i thought about before and i hear different stories about it.. it is a serious option.. the car will get the carbon ZR1 break set.. if someone knows more about that... please let me know....... >

see above replyes in the mail

the car arrived..

yeah today the car arrived at heartland in purcell.. the party can start..

Attachments

• DSC06763.jpg
    DSC06763.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC06753.jpg
    DSC06753.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC06754.jpg
    DSC06754.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC06759.jpg
    DSC06759.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC06767.jpg
    DSC06767.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 25
the engine.

what i want to show you also is a dyno movie of a same engine my car will get.. my car will get it black annodized...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJeYEAlPlak[/ame]

some pictures enclosed that tom nelson send me a couple of weeks ago

Attachments

• 016 - kopie.jpg
    016 - kopie.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 014 - kopie.jpg
    014 - kopie.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 008 - kopie.jpg
    008 - kopie.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 006 - kopie.jpg
    006 - kopie.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 018 - kopie.jpg
    018 - kopie.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 27

Light mod idea :

Thx.. we talked a lot about the headlights.. we thought there were finaly three options..

1) keep original with new technique so no vacuum..
2) delete them and put headlights in the grill
3) replace them for c6 styled ones.

ad1) this was a serious option.. but besides the vacuum system wich causes a lot of problems also the noise the headlights make when they are down and you ride over a bad road is one of the reasons to do sth else...
ad2) was a very very serious option.. Look what heartland customs did with the c2 zr1... but then the lights are to low for dutch law..
ad3) we came to this idea in the renderings.. i thnk it looks great in this updated theme of the car.. but as you see a lot of bad/ugly executions of this kind of headlights, the challenge is to execute it so good that it looks like it had been original...

I dont think vacuum is a big problem, it wouldnt be a problem to use electric motors for the pop ups.

actually, most of the vaccum system could be taken out and use all electric motors, wiper door, pop uplights, after market HVAC system etc.

Not trying to change your rendering, just putting in my 2 cents.

I know this will be one sweet ride anyway you choose to do it.

Are you going to use ISIS wiring system like in one of the other build?

I dont think vacuum is a big problem, it wouldnt be a problem to use electric motors for the pop ups.

actually, most of the vaccum system could be taken out and use all electric motors, wiper door, pop uplights, after market HVAC system etc.

Not trying to change your rendering, just putting in my 2 cents.

I know this will be one sweet ride anyway you choose to do it.

Are you going to use ISIS wiring system like in one of the other build?

all tips are wellcome.... as it seem now, LT1 hood will be lengthen a bit and delete the wiper doors... so no vacuum for lights, and no for wipers...

yes car will get ISIS system..