700r4 stick shift kit (full manual shifting)

turtlevette

The Turdle
i've got a good one for you.

I want to put a transgo stick shift kit in my 700R4. It has a hydraulic converter lockup from before. The kit has a wire spring that holds the governor heavy and light weights wide open.....i think..

If i install this is the converter going to lock and stall the engine as soon as i put it in gear?

i've got a good one for you.

I want to put a transgo stick shift kit in my 700R4. It has a hydraulic converter lockup from before. The kit has a wire spring that holds the governor heavy and light weights wide open.....i think..

If i install this is the converter going to lock and stall the engine as soon as i put it in gear?

Why would you want to do that? I would figure that would cause a lot of excess heat, I hope you have a great tranny cooler.

I'm not too versed on the lock-up converters, I don't run one, I would imagine it would have trouble idling in gear.

that just allows you to shift trans at any shift point,up or down,providing you installed the complete kit in vb. lock up is controlled by lu valve in vb and pump.

that just allows you to shift trans at any shift point,up or down,providing you installed the complete kit in vb. lock up is controlled by lu valve in vb and pump.

so the lockup point is independant of the governor?

It seems as though it usually locks up after it shifts to third. You can barely feel it.

No, the tranny has a pressure switch that holds off lockup until it is in 3rd or 4th

OR maybe just 4th....in some,,,,...and then the computer can elect for it to lockup at a certain speed indepenadant of the gear it's in....even in 2nd ....

for some reason my 700 never could lockup in first, but in 2nd on up....it would shift when locked for a really scalping bump....

Lock up is fed by 2nd gear oil,meaning, lock up can happen any time after 2nd gear is applied, the rest depends on the computer signal and switching on vb that will dictate when lu solenoid will feed fluid to the clutch. Early computers and switching sucked,they would send signal to solenoid right on top of third and lug motor.

Lock up is fed by 2nd gear oil,meaning, lock up can happen any time after 2nd gear is applied, the rest depends on the computer signal and switching on vb that will dictate when lu solenoid will feed fluid to the clutch. Early computers and switching sucked,they would send signal to solenoid right on top of third and lug motor.

it sounds like this kit will lock the converter and stall the engine if i go to second while stopped.

This was the whole point of doing the kit. I wanted to start in second or third instead of first which shifts after about 10 feet because of the 456 gear and snapps my wife's neck back.

The tranny shop that set up my 700 installed a dial switch. I can adjust when it will lockup anywhere from 50 to 80mph .Dont know how it works but it only locks up in higear.

The tranny shop that set up my 700 installed a dial switch. I can adjust when it will lockup anywhere from 50 to 80mph .Dont know how it works but it only locks up in higear.

HUmm....love to know about that thing, wish I had one....can you run down some information on it please???

my computer thinks the car is doing about 25% more speed than it actually is....it is programmed for X ratio...say 308 or 29x and so it's really 336 meaning it is supposed to lock up at 50 mph....it does, for it's readings...bu the car is only 35-40 mph or so....not all that huge a deal, but would be nice to EASILY fix....not reprogramme the chip...

its a converter lockup control the part no. in jegs is13070248 for elect. speedo and 13070244 for mech speedo its says adjustable from 30-90,made by b&m

it sounds like this kit will lock the converter and stall the engine if i go to second while stopped.

This was the whole point of doing the kit. I wanted to start in second or third instead of first which shifts after about 10 feet because of the 456 gear and snapps my wife's neck back.

Nope.:bullshit::bullshit:

In order for the converter to lock up in 2nd,you would still need an electrical signal from the computer,and that will not happen until your doing about 35-40 mph.